Where to Begin
Choosing to become a physician, dentist, veterinarian, or other healthcare professional is an important and rewarding decision! It requires commitment, hard work, and many years of training but also provides many benefits including a career that allows you to make a meaningful difference in the lives of individuals and communities.
If you have decided to pursue a career in medicine and healthcare, there are a variety of ways to begin preparing to ensure you are a strong candidate for the application process.
Preparing for the medical and health professions application process includes:
- Taking the required and recommended coursework
- Gaining exposure to the medical and clinical setting
- Demonstrating the skills medical and health profession schools are seeking
- Taking the standardized exams (e.g. MCAT, DAT, GRE)
We can help
If you have any questions on how to begin preparing a strong application for the health professions application process, MIT Prehealth Advising can help:
- Meet with us – we can guide you through the process
- Visit our virtual drop-in sessions on Tuesdays from 12 – 2 pm. Spring semester Drop-Ins restart in February.
- Join the prehealth email list. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Please add me to the [year] prehealth email list” Use the year you plan to enter medical school, not the year you graduate from MIT.
- Log into Handshake to schedule an appointment
- Join the MIT Prehealth Advising Facebook Group