Welcome to the MIT Faculty/Staff page!
Career Advising and Professional Development sit at the center of the MIT career advising universe, acting as a hub to help students navigate the many different career resources available across the Institute. Faculty and staff are important parts of the career advising universe, and we want to work with you to ensure MIT students and postdocs can accomplish their career goals.
CAPD works with all majors and all levels on their career and professional development goals. We partner with departments in many ways and appreciate feedback on how to best partner with you to serve your students and postdocs.
What to Expect in Fall 2021
- Access to our advisors
- CAPD workshops and programs
- Virtual recruiting
- Graduate and professional school
- Fall Career Fair Series
- Students and postdocs can schedule 15 – 50 minute in-person, or virtual appointments between 7 am – 7 pm.CAPD operating hours will be 10 am – 4 pm, Monday – Friday, but virtual and in-person meetings and advising appointments will happen before and after open hours. Information about alumni appointments is on the CAPD alumni webpage.
- Our workshops will be mostly virtual. MIT’s Handshake events page lists workshops, including the Career Exploration Series that began on Sept. 13 and runs through November. Event information will continue to be delivered to academic administrator inboxes weekly, and new staff members can sign up for event emails on our website. Also, the workshop request form is open for the fall semester.
- Many employers still have travel limitations; therefore, recruiting and career fairs will be virtual for Fall 2021. MIT’s Handshake will host information sessions, coffee talks, presentations, internships and full-time opportunities listings, and interview schedules. Students and postdocs are encouraged to complete their Handshake profiles and set up their notifications to get alerts on the activities of most interest to them.
- We expect another competitive season of mainly virtual interviewing for students applying to graduate and professional schools. Prehealth Advising, Distinguished Fellowship Advising, and Graduate School Advising are part of CAPD services and another way we support students as they explore various career paths.
- Dates and industries are as follows:
- Data Analytics, Consulting, and Finance: Friday, September 24, 1-6 pm ET
- Computer Science and Social Impact: Tuesday, September 28, 1-6 pm ET
- Design, Engineering, and Research: Wednesday, October 6, 1-6 pm ET
Learn more about the 2021 Fall Career Fair Series.
- Students looking for a short-term project or internship over IAP should consider a micro-internship to build their skills, connect with employers and explore a career path. Each day, new projects become available and it’s really easy to search for them in Handshake using “micro-intern” as search term when looking through the job listings.Learn more about Micro-internships.
In addition to the Fall Career Fair series, other career fairs will be offered by partners across campus and Harvard. View our Annual Career Fairs at MIT page for a full list of planned and anticipated fairs.