Welcome to the Students of Color Affinity page! This page has resources curated specifically for you. In CAPD, we appreciate your unique intersections of identity. Your perspectives and contributions are valuable and we want to help you find the opportunities and career paths that celebrate all aspects of your identity. We look forward to getting to know you and our advisors can support you on your career journey from exploring your options, to finding an internship/job or preparing for graduate/professional school, to negotiating job offers and beyond.
We welcome your active participation in this community. Please contact us with requests, suggestions, and feedback.
Programs and Groups
- The Graduate Student of Color mentoring circles is an initiative created by Career Advising and Professional Development (CAPD) and the Office of Graduate Education (OGE). The Mentoring Circles connect current graduate students with alumni who provide culturally relevant perspectives on pathways to academic and industry careers.
- The Office of Minority Education (OME) has professional development and academic excellence programs such as Interphase EDGE, Laureates & Leaders, Momentum, Master Your Future, and The Standard that help undergraduates explore career and graduate/professional school options and prepare for the future.
- Engage has a list of Academic and Pre-Professional and Cultural student groups. Consider getting involved with groups that combine your academic/professional interests and aspects of your identity. For example, you could join groups like the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES), Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), Minority Business Association (MBA), and Society of Underrepresented Biologists and Biological Engineers (SUBE).
The MIT Alumni Advisors Hub is an online platform that facilitates one to one career conversations with alumni volunteers who are willing to chat and share career and professional advice. See the video How to search for an advisor – tips & filters, to learn how to filter alumni by affinity group. Affinity groups available on Advisor’s Hub include Black Alumni of MIT (BAMIT), Latino/a Alumni of MIT (LAMIT), and the South Asian Alumni Association (MITSAAA).
- Incorporate CAPD’s recommended practices for recruiting underrepresented candidates. These practices aim to remove inequities in recruiting.
- Review MIT data/resources and commit to Pay Equity for your employees.
- Read this Handshake article to learn about 3 Hiring Practices that Disadvantage Black Students and how you can make your recruiting practices more equitable.