The FYF initiative supports MIT first year undergraduate students as they transition into the world of career exploration and competitive job markets. By investing into relationships with undergraduates in their first year at MIT, companies can establish a robust connection with candidates and increase their likelihood of recruiting students in their subsequent years of study.
This year, the Fall Career Fair is offering the following to support first year undergraduate students attending the in-person or virtual career fair.
- FYF & FYF+ Labels
- How to Work a Career Fair As a First Year UG Student event
- Early Access to the Fall Career Fair
FYF & FYF+ Labels
Employers registering for the Fall Career Fair will be asked to indicate how they would like to engage with first year undergraduate students at the fair and whether they have opportunities that first year undergraduate students are eligible for. Based on the employer’s response, the employer will receive one of the following labels in Handshake, for students to easily search for first-year friendly employers attending the Fall Career Fair.
- First Year Friendly (FYF) is intended for companies interested in engaging in career conversations and exploration with students who are in their first-year of undergraduate education at MIT
- First Year Friendly Plus (FYF+) is for companies offering internships and related opportunities that first year undergraduate students are eligible for, in addition to being open to having career exploration conversations with first year students
View First Year Friendly Employers
Students can view first year friendly employers in one of the following ways:
- Handshake – sort through employers attending the in-person fair on Sept. 23rd or virtual career fair on Sept. 28th on Handshake by using the labels listed above
- First Year Friendly Employer List – this sortable spreadsheet contains the full list of 40+ employers attending the fair that are first year friendly. The list provides the employer’s booth location and industry cluster
How to Work a Career Fair As a First Year, Sept. 15th, 7pm, E19-202
Does the idea of a career fair overwhelm and intimidate you? If so, come to this Q&A with the directors of the 2022 Fall Career to learn how you as a first year student at MIT can not only snap up swag, but can also make lasting and impactful professional connections. Open exclusively to all first-year undergraduate students.
This event has already taken place, however slides from the session are available for students who missed the event!
Early Access to the In-Person Fall Career Fair
On Friday, Sept. 23, 2022 starting at 9:30am, only first year undergraduate students will be able to gain early access to the in-person Fall Career Fair taking place in the Johnson Athletic Center. We encourage students to arrive well before 9:30am to start checking in to the fair so that you can start chatting with the first year friendly employers right away! The rest of campus will be able to enter the fair at 10am, so don’t waste this early access opportunity to talk with the employers while they are still fresh and energized.