Develop connections, gain insight, and prepare for your future in academia.
Saturday, November 18 and Sunday, November 19, 2023
The Path of Professorship workshop is an annual multi-day workshop designed for attendees who personally align with the unique experiences of women, preparing MIT graduate students and post-doctoral researchers to enter careers in academia. Women and non-binary professors from MIT and a diverse range of colleges and universities share about their experiences in academia in an exciting and informative weekend. This workshop is sponsored by MIT Career Advising & Professional Development and the Office of Graduate Education, with support for postdoctoral researchers from the Office of the Vice President for Research.
The workshop is open to women and nonbinary individuals who personally identify with the unique experiences of women as an underrepresented gender group. Its aim is to provide information about academic scientific careers and the application process. We aim to be inclusive in our event programming; we also recognize that the nuanced experiences of all gender minorities may not be fully represented. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to email@example.com.
This workshop was previously developed and offered through the Office of Graduate Education.
- Key strategies for applying and interviewing for academic positions
- The importance of networking and how to manage networking with peers and superiors
- Insights from deans and department chairs about what to negotiate for once you have the offer
- Advice from faculty on things you can do now and during your hire to make your tenure-track years as smooth and successful as possible
- Characteristics of different types of universities
- Advice on maintaining a balanced life, in light of rigorous demands of a career in academia
Materials and networking opportunities will be provided.
This program schedule is subject to change.
|9:00-9:55||Work-life balance in academia|
|10:00-10:55||What type of institution is right for you?|
|2:35-3:30||Negotiating the offer|
|3:35-4:30||Building a professional network and reputation|
|5:15-6:00||Keynote & closing remarks|
|9:00-9:55||How to be a quick start professor|
|10:00-10:30||Networking (formal) / coffee|
|11:35-12:30||Research statement workshop|