Questions to Ask an Interviewer
You are expected to have several questions to ask your interviewer(s) when they give you the opportunity, usually towards the end of the interview. Make sure your questions are respectful and reflect well upon you as a candidate. Remember that the interviewer is the driver of the interview, so you should not dominate it; however, a few well-thought-out questions lets the interviewer know you are fully engaged and interested in the role.
Sample questions to help you prepare
- Can you tell me about the primary people with whom I would be working?
- What skills do you see as most important in order to be successful in this position?
- What kinds of assignments might I expect the first six months on the job?
- How and when would my performance be evaluated?
- Can you tell me about the people who would be reporting to me?
- Is this a new position or am I replacing someone?
- May I talk with the last person who held this position?
- Can you tell me about the career path this position offers?
- What is the growth potential in this position? Where does this role fit in the growth strategy of the company?
- About the people who have preceded me in this position and in the department, where are they now and what are they doing?
- Is it your usual policy to promote from within?
- How are promotions or transfers determined within the company?
- Does advancement to upper management usually require an advanced degree?
- Have you cut your staff in the last three years?
Education & Training
- What additional training might be necessary for this position?
- Is training done in a classroom/group session or is it handled on an individual basis?
- Are there training programs available to me so that I can learn and grow professionally?
- What type of on-the-job training programs do you offer?
- Does the firm support further college education for its employees?
Assessment Questions for Interviewer
- What kind of personal attributes and qualifications does your company value?
- What characteristics are important for this position?
- What is the most significant challenge facing your staff now?
- What have been some of the best results produced by people in this position?
- What are your projections for this department/position for the next year? (specify type of projections e.g. sales, production, products, profits)
- What do you see ahead for your company in the next five years?
- What are your plans for expanding the (sales, audit, research, etc.) department?
General Questions for Interviewer
- Can you tell me a little about your own experience with the company?
- What do you like best about your job/company?
- Are you happy here?
- If you could change one thing about the company, what would it be and why?
- When do you expect to make a hiring decision for this position?
- Could you describe the hiring process?
- Is there anything that we have discussed today that would give you concern regarding my candidacy?
- In what ways is a career with your company better than one with your competitors?
- What is the largest single problem facing your staff (department) now?