A World-Class Leader in MedTech and Diagnostic Medical Device Innovation
Software Engineering Co-Op
Full Time / Co-Op (6 months)
Office Location: Providence
Ximedica believes that the best way to impact the health and wellness of our global society is through technological innovation. We pride ourselves in taking a human-centered approach to design and deliver the highest quality products to solve healthcare’s toughest problems. Despite over 30 years of experience in engineering, design, and consulting, we still embrace our start-up culture that challenges us to continually evolve the way we do business, push the boundaries of breakthrough technology, and reflect the ever-changing needs of our clients, employees, and society.
We are a company of problem solvers, inventors, artists, teachers, teammates, and friends. We value the differences that make us unique and embrace different ways of thought.
Our growing company offers a high-energy, high-achieving, collaborative culture that fosters a creative spirit while exceeding client expectations. We offer tremendous opportunity for professional development, rewarding projects, competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package, and summer hours!
Check out a sneak peek at our company here:
We are seeking an aspiring Software Engineer who is looking to positively impact society through the creation and improvement of healthcare technology. In this role you will put your critical thinking, product design, and technical skills to the test. You’ll report to the Director of Embedded Hardware to support the execution of software/firmware design and development activities through all phases of the medical product development process including: initial design efforts, testing, validation, and stewarding projects to the final manufacturing transfer.
You’ll work on a variety of cutting-edge projects with engineers from across different disciplines to solve real-world problems. As a product development consultancy, all work is performed on behalf of our clients and our projects are constantly changing. Our group of engineers are highly skilled, collaborative, hands-on, and want to help you succeed at our company and in your career.
real-world problems. Our group of engineers are highly skilled, collaborative, hands-on, and want to help you succeed at our company and in your career.
As a Software Engineering Co-Op, you will be exposed to some of the following:
- Design and develop firmware applications in response to functional specifications using C/C++/C#/Qt
- Use of debugging tools, including software debuggers and basic use of electronic diagnostic devices for software development, integration, debugging, and troubleshooting
- Integrate and test firmware with a variety of hardware platforms and to analyze and troubleshoot the hardware/firmware interface
- Development of wireless applications and devices
- Sensor and instrumentation integration
- Embedded application development on a variety of platforms, including baremetal C implementation on ARM M0 through ARM M4s; embedded Linux development on computer on modules (COM), SBCs, and custom iMX based designs; and development on real time operating systems (RTOS)
- Unit test design and execution
- Test fixture development and automation in Python / Matlab / LabView
- Conduct risk management in product design
- Define user needs and design requirements
- Industry standards and how to incorporate them while designing products
- The ins and outs of consulting and working with clients
- Supply chain and working with external entities
- How medical device software is regulated and designed per IEC 62304
No two experiences will be the same. To ensure our students get a well-rounded experience, work will be split across projects and self-development activities. Your mentor will help and guide you along the way. Students may get listed as inventors on patents as part of their work. While client work will be confidential, we will make every effort to keep a portion of work something that can be openly disclosed; your mentor will help you with your resume and portfolio toward the end of your experience.
Our Facility: Our building is home to:
- Open-concept cubicle spaces
- Engineering development laboratories
- A shop fitted with manual and CNC machine equipment
- A common area with chairs and tables
- A quality inspection laboratory fitted with force, torque, and dimensional measurement equipment
- Manufacturing spaces including clean rooms
- BSL1 and BSL2 laboratories
We are located southwest of downtown Providence at 55 Dupont Drive, Providence, RI 02907 with easy access to I-95. Ideal candidates live nearby, can relocate, or have a means to commute. Public transportation to/from Boston is available via the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) Commuter Rail. Local public transportation is available by bus via the Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority (RIPTA).
Students should be pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering or related course of study. The
ideal candidate should have working knowledge of Python, C, C++, Arduino or other programming languages. An interest and/or experience in board design, micro-controllers, biosensors, robotics, PID loops, etc.
Candidates must be capable of getting to and from our office; see Transportation section above. Product development experience is desirable but not required. Keys to success include:
- Strong work ethic
- Positive attitude
- Team spirit; collaboration
- Thirst for learning
- Fluency in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Creativity and conceptual skills
- Flexibility and working with ambiguity
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At Ximedica, LLC, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Ximedica believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.