Lead our Sustainability team at Mount Rushmore National Memorial and Rocky Mountain National Park! This role provides an opportunity to apply your sustainability passion, technical knowledge, and people skills to provide legendary hospitality with a softer footprint in two beautiful, iconic locations.
This is a full-time, year-round position.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & 401k
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
- 50% Discount on Xanterra Lodging
- 40% Discount in the Gift Shop
- 20% Discount in the Restaurant
- 15% Verizon Service/Products Discount
- Black Hills VIP Training Pass Discounts for local attractions
- $350 Referral Bonus
Many of our year-round leaders choose to live in Rapid City and drive a short 30-minute commute! You may also choose to live in our company lodging.
As a part of the executive team, the Sustainability Manager reports directly to the General Manager. This experienced sustainability professional will develop, implement, and maintain comprehensive environmental strategies and programs for Xanterra Travel Collection’s Mount Rushmore National Memorial (MORU) and Rocky Mountain National Park (ROMO) retail, restaurant, parking, and employee housing operations. This role is responsible for ensuring compliance with National Park Service (NPS) contracts, ISO 14001 standards, and environmental laws as well as maintaining LEED O+M, Parksmart, and Green Restaurant Association certifications.
Essential Job Duties:
- Monitor and maintain compliance with all sustainability requirements in NPS concession contracts.
- Ensure legal compliance with local, NPS, state, and federal environmental statutes and regulations and minimize legal liabilities from potential hazards.
- Achieve and maintain certifications including ISO 14001, LEED O+M (Platinum), Parksmart, and Green Restaurant Association (4-star) for Xanterra’s buildings and operations. Assist others in the maintenance and improvement of ISO 9001 quality management certification.
- Track all utility use through Xanterra’s Ecometrix platform, measure impact of programs, and prepare required reports.
- Work with the General Managers, operating departments, and the corporate sustainability department to maintain and improve environmental management programs.
- Support retail, food and beverage, and parking revenue-generating departments in reducing waste and increasing efficiency to increase profits.
- Monitor and optimize the efficiency of buildings systems.
- Effectively manage sustainability-related capital projects by delivering quality results on schedule and under budget.
- Develop and implement appropriate training programs.
- Serve as environmental spokesperson for Xanterra’s MORU and ROMO operations.
- Promote Xanterra’s sustainable image through participation in local, regional, and/or national environmental groups; award applications; and media interviews.
- Prepare and administer the annual financial plan and capital budgets for the sustainability department.
- Oversee the continued implementation and improvements of the garden and greenhouse operation.
- Perform manual labor including the collection and transportation of recycling and compost in the off-season.
- Travel from MORU to ROMO/Estes Park, CO 3-5 times per summer for 2-6 days each time. Travel to one other Xanterra property annually to perform an internal EMS audit.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with experience in technical writing and public speaking. Must communicate effectively with superiors, field employees, the NPS, and the media.
- Must be savvy as to proper business practices and present programs that are practical and financially sound. The Manager must genuinely enjoy people and be an effective team player, while also carefully introducing, promoting and driving change.
- Familiarity with environmental laws and regulations as they relate to the hospitality industry, and an ability to keep abreast of this complex field.
- Understand best practices in project management and the organizational abilities to implement them in a fluid environment.
- Must be organized and have strong administrative and leadership skills, including experience with operating budgets and the related accountability.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Offices products including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience assessing cost effectiveness, cost savings, program effectiveness, and program compliance.
- An understanding of building electrical and mechanical systems especially including HVAC and lighting is ideal, but not required. Experience reviewing and interpreting construction drawings.
- Passion for national parks and public lands.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in sustainability, environmental science, engineering, or a related field.
- At least three years of professional experience in all aspects of environmental management.
- LEED AP O+M or the ability to earn within one year of hire date.
- Experience in environmental report writing, preferably including EMS development and ISO 14001 certification.
- Experience in developing sustainability initiatives and implementing all phases of a company-wide environmental program, preferably in a hospitality and/or cooperative government agency setting.
- Must possess physical stamina to withstand extensive standing, lifting, stooping, and bending involved in moving and transporting supplies, equipment, and waste weighing from 50 to 100 pounds.
- Most work will be completed at a desk in an office environment but is expected to frequently engage with employees and guests in the restaurant, gift shop, and parking facility.
- Will also be exposed to extreme hot and cold temperatures when working outdoors in the garden in the summer or hauling recycling in the winter.
- Serve on the MORU and ROMO management teams assisting with the oversight of over a hundred seasonal employees. Directly supervise one to three seasonal employees, including a MORU Recycler/Gardener.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.