LI Title: INTERNATIONAL OPPORTUNITY: Linguistics/Translation Worker
Imagine someone handed you a vital present.….but you weren’t given the tools to open it! Without translation and language development, many communities just don’t have the tools – but you can use your skills in language analysis to help them!
Today, over 1600 people groups, 114 million people, still don’t have the Bible translated into their languages! Wycliffe USA believes the Word of God can transform lives when people hear it in their own language, and we urgently need you to join the team!
Nigeria is situated at a key meeting point of Islam and Christianity in West Africa. With more than 300 languages without Scripture, it has the second highest remaining translation needs of any country in the world.
As a Linguistics and Translation worker, you would join a dynamic, growing and multinational team which desires to come alongside the Nigerian church and partner organizations to see God and His love expressed and experienced in every language community in Nigeria.
Job Location: Jos, Nigeria
Want to work in a different location? Wycliffe USA has many open positions located in Africa, Asia, Europe, Americas, and the Pacific! Even though this job is located overseas, you must be legally authorized to work in the United States as per U.S. employment laws.
In becoming a member of a faith-based organization, you will receive extensive training and resources in partnership development so that gifts given to the preference of your ministry account are provided for your salary, benefits, and ministry related expenses.
What Might You Do?
Every day is different! One day you will plan the next step of the language program with the other team members. Another day you’ll sit down with the man on the corner to practice your language learning and analyze data to help develop a written form. Later you might prepare exegetical notes.
This job might be for you if…
- You demonstrate the desire and ability to support corporate Biblical and religious goals and participate in regular work-related spiritual activities without reservation (Spiritual Bona Fide Occupational Qualification)
- You love people. You recognize how important it is to work with a community rather than for a community.
- The thought of learning the local language appeals to you.
- You thrive in a cross-cultural environment and understand both the joys and challenges.
- Data gathering and analysis are your bread and butter.
- You’re not afraid of writing technical papers or participating in translation checking with consultants.
- You are flexible, focused, and take the initiative.
- Mentoring and training national co-workers in translation, exegetical, leadership and linguistic skills thrills you. You have persevered through school and earned a Bachelor’s degree.
- You love reading and studying the Bible and have honed your exegetical skills.
- You have basic knowledge of at least one Biblical language.
It’s a bonus if…
- You have an M.A. in Linguistics, Biblical Studies, or a related field.
- You’ve had at least 1-2 years of Biblical Studies (or an equivalent).
If you have questions about this job, contact email@example.com.
Pos ID: 3720 REF ID: 31876 Paul