This is an exciting opportunity to join an experienced and multicultural team executing a comprehensive global communication strategy on cocoa sustainability issues across multiple channels. The Communications & Membership Associate provides overall support to the Communications & Membership team, specifically with social media strategy and management, website management, content development, event coordination, and more.
The World Cocoa Foundation (WCF) is a non-profit international membership organization whose vision is a thriving and sustainable cocoa sector, where farmers prosper, communities are empowered, and the planet is healthy. With our members representing more than 80% of the cocoa sector, we advance public-private action to make the cocoa supply chain more sustainable. We convene the private sector, governments, civil society and cocoa-growing communities to focus on three goals: increasing farmer income, combating child and forced labor, and ending deforestation of the cocoa supply chain.
· Spearhead social media strategy and create social media content.
· Provide ongoing website updates and act as point of contact for web development firm.
· Liaise with member companies and partner organizations to curate blog content for website.
· Compile data from social media platforms and Google Analytics monthly, analyze findings and refine strategy based on findings.
· Oversee Google Ads campaigns and analyze results.
· Coordinate monthly newsletter content and execute distribution.
· Support media relations strategy, including monitoring media, coordinating press lists, and drafting press releases and talking points.
· Develop graphics for social media, newsletter, blogs, articles, reports, and website.
· Create videos using Wochit platform and plan video content marketing.
· Review and copy edit articles, reports, and other documents.
· Champion monthly communications committee call with member companies.
· Provide overall logistical/administrative support and planning (contracting, team meetings, team workplan…).
Event Management (20%)
· Manage logistics for annual global cocoa sustainability conference, gathering 350+ attendees from Europe, West Africa, North America, Latin America, Japan and Southeast Asia.
· Create conference run of show detailing tasks for event team of 30+ WCF staff members and consultants.
· Support speaker management for about 80+ speakers (gather biographies, photos, ensure registration and coordinate participation).
· Support the delivery of sponsorship packages for cocoa and chocolate companies.
· Liaising with vendors and manage contracting.
· Create and manage registration and event platform sites.
· Oversee email and social media marketing for the conference.
· Support the development of the conference summary report including writing, editing, graphic development, and distribution.
· If/when the conference is not held online, travel to conference destination (past events held in the US, Latin America, Europe and West Africa) and manage the event from there.
· Manage database of members through Salesforce and maintain distribution lists.
· Field prospective member inquiries.
· Work with leadership team to determine high priority member prospects; conduct research and outreach as needed.
· Work with finance team to organize annual membership dues invoicing.
· Support members-only webinars and annual membership assembly meeting.
Required Skills & Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree and two years of work experience.
· Strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
· Excellent writing and copy-editing abilities.
· Knowledge of or desire to learn content management systems (ex. WordPress), contact management systems (ex. Salesforce), email distribution systems (ex. Mailchimp), and social media and website analytics (ex. Google Analytics).
· Social media savvy and understanding of data analytics.
· Organizational skills, ideally event and logistics coordination experience.
· Graphic design and video editing skills (ex. Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, Wochit).
· Detail-oriented self-starter who works well both independently and on a multi-cultural global team.
· Second language proficiency in French, Spanish, Portuguese, or Japanese.
· Interest in sustainability, international development, issues management and crisis communications a plus.
Salary range: $55,000-$60,000. WCF provides competitive benefits including generous health and retirement benefits (health, dental and vision insurance, and 401k match), 22 days of paid time off, federal holidays and 10 days of paid sick leave.
WCF staff members are currently working remotely due to the pandemic. The position will be based in our Washington DC office. WCF will not sponsor visa applications for this position.
How to Apply:
Interested and eligible candidates are requested to upload their cover letter describing their interest in this role and résumé to: https://worldcocoa.egnyte.com/ul/k07RjcDnqH
Please address the letter to “Human Resources” and name your files using the following convention: ‘firstname.lastname Cover and ‘firstname.lastname Resume’.
Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by November 17. Shortlisted candidates may be required to undergo a writing test and provide references.
World Cocoa Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.