Wolfram, creator of Mathematica, Wolfram|Alpha and the Wolfram Language, is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Food Data Developer to join its Wolfram|Alpha Scientific Content department. The Food Data Developer will be responsible for advancing the natural understanding, data representation and data values of food-related entities in Wolfram|Alpha.
The Wolfram|Alpha Food team maintains and expands the food content of the Wolfram Knowledgebase. This includes preparing, checking and incorporating new food entities and their linguistics access. Projects will include collecting data for packaged foods, international foods and recipes.
- Locating and processing data sources
- Adding the data to relational database systems
- Adding linguistics to the entities
- Developing high-impact visualizations of the data
- Implementing algorithmic and heuristic Wolfram Language procedures that optimally bridge ambiguous natural language description with exact data values
- Writing testing procedures to check statistical correctness of data and parses
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology or a related technical or quantitative field
- Interest in food
- Ability to prioritize tasks and take initiative
- Strong organizational and analytic skills
- Strong research skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of the Wolfram Language Entity functionality
- Exposure to data science methods and structured datasets
- Experience as a research assistant
- Database knowledge, such as SQL, is a plus
- A background in nutrition or food science is a plus
Location: Champaign, Illinois, or remote
Wolfram is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at its company. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.