Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world’s access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo’s fully autonomous driving technology. Our software allows the Waymo Driver to perceive the world around it, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we’d like to meet you.
The Perception Team at Waymo builds the system that “sees” the world around the self-driving car. We conduct novel research to address real-world perception problems and collaborate with research teams at Alphabet. Here at Waymo, we have access to millions of miles of real driving data from a diverse set of sensors, enabling researchers like you to develop complex models and techniques at scale. Improvements deployed to our system can immediately impact our large fleet of autonomous vehicles.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you will:
- Conduct cutting edge research and development in new perception algorithms to solve challenging real-world problems.
- Deploy your algorithms and models onto a fleet of self-driving cars.
- Participate in publishing findings in academic conferences and journals.
At the minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in Computer Science, Robotics, or a similar technical field of study
- Strong C++ and/or Python programming experience
- Experience in at least one of: machine learning, robotics, computer vision, data mining, LiDAR, Radar
- Experience in at least one of: data structures, 3D geometry and advanced algorithms
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with Tensorflow or deep learning models.
- Large-scale data processing and analytical skills.
- Strong algorithmic background
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus (if applicable)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
Note: This is a summer internship position in our Mountain View or Seattle office. We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, you will need to apply to each one individually – please apply to the top 3 roles you are interested in.