Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world’s access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
The Data Science team works on a wide variety of evaluation and modeling problems, including safety evaluation which is of fundamental importance to Waymo, the ubiquitous simulation technology and realism challenges, ML model evaluation (behavior prediction / perception / sim agents), routing, driving quality and rider experience. This role works with a variety of teams across the company (engineering, research, product, safety, operations) to inject data science rigor & prospective and influence development direction in many of the critical systems in self-driving technology and fleet operations.
In this internship, you’ll:
- Work with large, complex datasets from various sources to draw analytical insights
- Apply quantitative methods as needed to solve challenging problems
- Take ownership of end-to-end analysis from data gathering, processing, analyzing, deliverables, and presentations
- Work with cross-functional teams (including engineering, safety, product etc.) to identify interesting questions and communicate findings
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Must be enrolled in a PhD program focused on Statistics, Math, or other quantitative area
- Solid technical background in applied stats, or related quantitative fields
- Coding fluency with R, Python, or SQL
- Demonstrated analytical thinking and data intuition when solving problems in a new problem space
- Ability to take an ambiguous question, use data to draw insights, and convey the results to a wide range of audiences
It’s preferred if you have:
- Strong background in statistics and applied machine learning
- Experience with large data datasets
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus (if applicable)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
Note: This is a summer internship position in our Mountain View office . We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, you will need to apply to each one individually – please apply to the top 3 roles you are interested in.