Wave Life Sciences is a biotechnology company focused on delivering transformational therapies for patients with serious, genetically defined diseases. We differentiate ourselves through our proprietary chemistry platform that enables the production of stereopure oligonucleotides that precisely target the underlying cause of rare diseases. At Wave, we welcome those who share a passion to change lives and embrace a culture that is thoughtful, dynamic, humble, and fearless. Together, we can contribute to our mission enabling every patient with a genetic disease to have access to life changing treatments.
Wave is seeking an Associate or Senior Associate Scientist, Investigative Toxicology to join the Preclinical Development team in Lexington, MA. Our Safety Assessment Mission is to advance the portfolio by generating high-quality non-clinical safety data with well-considered ethical use of animals, utilizing emerging predictive and scientific methodologies, and collaborating with strategic partners. In our collaborative team environment, the successful candidate will be an integral member of the Investigative Toxicology group and contribute to expanding our neuroimmunology and cellular/molecular biology capabilities to support safety assessment of our PRISM platform and multiple projects in the portfolio. This position reports to a Senior Scientist on the team and will collaborate cross-functionally with other scientists. The ideal candidate has a background in neurobiology and/or immunology. S/he will deliver reliably and responsibly on independent research initiatives by applying technical proficiency, attention to detail, troubleshooting skills, and the ability to interpret changes in methodological design. S/he will analyze and interpret data and present results to various cross-functional project teams.
- Maintaining and culturing mammalian cell lines and primary cells. Previous experience with iPSC derived cells is a plus.
- Multiplex cytokine release screening for oligonucleotide induced immuno-toxicity in different sample types including cell culture media, biofluids and tissues.
- Develop, optimize, and execute cellular and biochemical assays to evaluate oligonucleotide associated toxicities using various techniques including immunoassays, flow cytometry, cytotoxicity assays, reporter gene assays, qPCR, and Western Blotting.
- Analyze, interpret, and present data to various teams.
- Work cross-functionally with multidisciplinary teams.
- Maintain accurate electronic lab notebook.
- Author technical documents, e.g. Standard Operating Procedures, data summary reports and assay procedures.
Education / Experience
- A BS degree and at least 5 years of experience in cell and molecular biology or a related field. An MS degree and at least 3 years of relevant industry experience is preferred.
- Experience in neurobiology and / or immunology is preferred.
- Background in developing assays for mechanistic understanding and/or screening applications.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic team-oriented environment.
- Detail focused, excellent organizational skills, self-motivated and the ability to prioritize and deliver in a timely fashion.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
Throughout the global pandemic, Wave has been committed to ensuring the safety of all employees and their families, while continuing to move the business forward so that we can deliver on our commitment to patients. We have implemented an approach to COVID-19 that is informed by the science and aligns to recommendations established by the CDC and other applicable government health agencies. To that end, Wave has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires its employees to be vaccinated to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.
Wave Life Sciences provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wave Life Sciences complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wave Life Sciences expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Wave Life Sciences’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.