Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking two individuals with the drive and passion in the field of civil engineering who can comfortably work at a desk and on active construction sites. The Port Angeles Project Engineering Office is looking for Transportation Engineers to serve as Survey Party Chief, who will manage all documentation for construction contracts. These positions require professional capabilities and proven experience in the practical application of engineering concepts and techniques. Our top candidates bring a contract administration and construction background and can comfortably perform office documentation, project controls, and inspection duties as needed. The future incumbents will play a pivotal role in meeting the agency’s goals.
What to Expect
These positions may be required to perform field work outdoors, in inclement weather on construction sites in daytime or nighttime. Exposure to hazards may include exhaust, high-speed traffic, steep or uneven terrain, and/or heavy construction equipment.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within these roles, the Survey Party Chief will:
- Serve as a Survey Party Inspector.
- Direct survey crew performing alignment control, location survey work, right of way determination, and/or construction staking using manual and/or electronic data collection procedures.
- Determine data collection needs as well as accurate, efficient, and safe operation.
- Train party members in all aspects of surveying and safety procedures.
- Serve as interface with public and contractors.
- Direct a geodetic field party and is responsible for network construction, usage of control network and operation/maintenance of survey equipment.
- Use civil engineering software to convert survey data to forms useable for electronic design.
- Develop and prepares project summaries, contract plans, specifications, special provisions, estimates, plans for approval, hydraulic reports, and other engineering documents.
- Inspect and direct the inspection of roads, structures, and related items; may serve as lead inspector in charge of a moderately sized project or a significant portion of a larger project.
To be considered for these opportunities, at least one the following are required:
- Two (2) years of experience as a Survey Party Chief in the position of a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, or equivalent work performing general land surveying and practice delivering digital terrain modeling. OR
- Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) and one (1) year of experience as Survey Party Chief in the position of a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, or equivalent work performing general land surveying and practice delivering digital terrain modeling. OR
- A Master’s degree with major study in civil engineering, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, soil mechanics, traffic engineering, transportation engineering or a closely related field.
In addition to one of the above, the following are also required:
- Expert knowledge of digital terrain modelling deliverables.
- The ability to read and interpret Plans and Specifications.
- Experience with current survey equipment and survey processing computer programs; computer aided engineering (CAE).
- A solid understanding of transportation engineering principles.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral.
- Developed skills to understand, interpret and apply engineering plans and specifications.
- Demonstrated experience in performing and checking engineering calculations.
- Proven skills in clearly concisely documenting project activities.
- Proven proficiency in utilizing computer applications for word processing, spreadsheets, and design software.
- The ability to work independently and swiftly while prioritizing workload and handling multiple assignments.
- The ability to inspect transportation construction work for conformance with the contractor’s schedule, which may include nights and weekends.
- The ability to traverse uneven terrain in all weather conditions.
- The ability to transport and manipulate materials and equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
- A valid driver’s license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Certification as a Land Surveyor-In-Training.
- Certification as a Professional Land Surveyor.
- Certification in construction materials testing.
- Certification in computer aided design and drafting (CADD).
- Certified as a General Inspector.
- Proficient in WSDOT materials testing procedures.
- The ability to navigate MATs for recording and uploading materials testing reports.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the “APPLY” button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-OR-30162m in the subject line.