Upstart is a leading AI lending platform partnering with banks to expand access to affordable credit. As we transitioned to being a public company, we’re now poised to leverage our domain expertise and revolutionize every aspect of lending and credit risk evaluation. We’ve recently expanded our offerings to include automobile refinancing and we plan to take on more verticals as the business grows.
By leveraging Upstart’s AI platform, Upstart-powered banks can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. Upstart’s patent-pending platform is the first to receive a no-action letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau related to fair lending. Upstart not only supports a large remote workforce, but also has offices in San Mateo, CA; Columbus, OH; and Austin, TX
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Machine Learning team has a direct impact on our company’s success. The team consists of Research Scientists, Data Scientists, ML Engineers and other highly specialized roles. As a whole, the Machine Learning team builds, enables and evaluates our core production models.
Because our challenges are so new, members of our Machine Learning team need strong creative problem-solving skills and the technical background to implement solutions. Our research environment affords team members the opportunity to utilize a variety of statistical and machine learning methods with the freedom and encouragement to pursue alternative approaches to solving problems. Whether developing new products or identifying novel approaches to core models, we are continuously seeking the next big ideas to move our business forward.
As a Research Scientist with Upstart, you’ll enjoy a fast-paced environment with a focus on productionalizing, deploying and training machine learning models. You’ll also have an opportunity to work alongside a talented team that values curiosity, humility, drive and teamwork.
- Position Location – This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo or Columbus
- Time Zone Requirements – This team operates on either the East or West Coast time zones.
- Travel Requirements – This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions six times annually split between our San Mateo or Columbus office locations. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
What we’re looking for:
- Strong academic credentials with an M.S. in statistics, mathematics, computer science, machine learning or a related quantitative field of study; PhD preferred
- Proficiency in Python programming
- Rigorous quantitative background
- Predictive modeling experience is preferred
- Enthusiasm for and alignment with Upstart’s mission and values
- Strong sense of intellectual curiosity balanced with humility
- Numerically-savvy with ability to operate at a speedy pace
What you’ll love:
- Competitive compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Personal development and technology & ergonomic budgets
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Clubs and Activities (game nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, book club, investing club, money discussions, photography club and basketball teams)
- Generous vacation policy
- 401(k) retirement plan and Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.