AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program designed to alleviate poverty by focusing on building capacity at nonprofit organizations and higher education institutions. Originally formed in 1965, AmeriCorps is part of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), an independent U.S. Government agency.
The AmeriCorps VISTA position within the University of Kentucky’s (UK) Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement supports community engagement initiatives for students, faculty, and staff.
Responsibilities may include support to:
- Service-learning, community service, and civic engagement initiatives.
- Student success and internship programs such as the UK Community Scholars Program (CSP), AppalachiaCorps, and the Summer Civic Leader (SCL) Program that help build capacity for area community partners.
- Assessment and evaluation efforts for service-learning, civic engagement, and student success.
- Service-learning research and curriculum development efforts.
- ServeLearnConnect website development and maintenance.
- Civic engagement digital badging that recognizes student work in their communities.
- Community bus tours.
- UK Civic Engagement and Service-Learning Council, a forum to facilitate improved coordination, communication, and collaboration between UK and its community.
- Nonprofit Internship Interview night which matches students to nonprofit internship opportunities.
- On the Table initiative, a community-wide dialogue sponsored by the Blue Grass Community Foundation.
- International service-learning opportunities.
- Campus partnership databases allowing students, campus partners and community organizations to connect based on common interests, needs and resources.
- And other activities as assigned.
The AmeriCorps VISTA member will serve as a full member of the Office of Student Success, which includes staff retreats, professional development meetings. We also work to connect our AmeriCorps VISTA member to the local Lexington network of AmeriCorps VISTAs for additional trainings.