Location: Sutton, MA
Job Title: Design Engineer
Reports To: Design Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: Responsible for packaging development from initial concept through material specification, design, documentation, prototyping, test validation, preferred production method to final release of production drawings to manufacturing by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
– Works as part of a team to deliver packaging projects in direct support of manufacturing and customer requirements.
– Envisions, designs, develops and specifies packaging materials, construction techniques and manufacturing methods to meet customer requirements and respective ship dates.
– Adheres to established testing protocols to validate performance and packaging materials, providing reports on shipping, stability, environmental and production line testing to minimize and eliminate transit damage.
– Coordinates with customers, sales, order processing, estimating, quality and manufacturing groups to provide estimates, quotations, specifications, samples and ECO’s to complete projects on time, achieve established quality objectives and deliver cost effective packaging solutions.
– Uses project management techniques to adhere to established project plans and timelines, ensuring timely project completion and delivery to customer according to established Just-In-Time philosophy.
– Reports on project activity as required to continuously monitor and provide status on the progress of all open projects.
– Follows established departmental work practices and processes to deliver consistent performance, quality of service, efficiency and productivity.
– Identifies opportunities to re-design or modify existing designs and improve production techniques to enhance profit margins and overall performance.
– Stays up-to-date with the latest techniques and software to continuously improve performance and help differentiate UNIFIED from its competitors.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Engineering degree (B. S.) from four-year college, university or technical institution; and three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination there of.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word; Microsoft Excel; MAS 500; AutoCad; Solidworks; ArtiosCad; Cape; Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Project.
Certificates and Licenses:
IoPP and/or ISTA Certifications
Certified Packing Professional
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; extreme cold (non-weather); extreme heat (non-weather); risk of electrical shock and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.