Interpreter – Chinese/Cantonese and Mandarin – Interpreters Services
- Boston, MA, USA
- Employment Type: Per Diem
- Shift: Per Diem
- Work Address: 37 Bennet Street, Boston, MA 02111
- Job Category (for posting purposes): Clinical Support
It takes a lot of very smart, hard-working and talented people to provide the level of care that we give to our patients. Tufts Medical Center is an internationally respected academic medical center and we pride ourselves not only on the sophistication of the care we deliver, but the compassionate way in which we provide it. And that starts with our employees.
Under general supervision, this position interprets the spoken language between two or more individuals from English to the target language and back into English again to ensure accurate cross language communication in a medical environment. May be required to translate written documents from English into the target language or from the target language into English.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Interprets the spoken language from English into the target language and from the target language into English for patients, physicians and Medical Center staff.
- Participates in family meetings with social workers to assist in completing forms, obtaining financial aid for clients, transferring patients, etc.
- Contacts non-English speaking patients to obtain consent signatures, give notification of appointments, and explain procedures, diagnosis, medical history, etc.
- May accompany non-English speaking patients to operating room or other departments when presence is needed.
- Translates correspondence, brochures, documents and special diagnostic procedures from English into the target language.
- May be required to take on-call requests to be available for emergencies at night and on weekends.
- Maintains collaborative, team relationships with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the working groups achievement of goals, and to help foster a positive work environment
- Performs other similar and job related duties as required or directed.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Full command, written and spoken of English and target language.
- Medical Interpreter Certification from a credited training course, College or University
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- High degree of courtesy and tact required in regular contacts with patients and their families involving patient-related information of a sensitive and or/confidential nature.
- Knowledge and ability generally obtained through the equivalent of a Bachelor’s Degree program.
- Completion of Medical Interpreter training course certification. 40-hour or 60-hour course (preferred 60-hour course.)
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above, may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Normal office setting
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES STATEMENT:
Must be able to perform all essential functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if disabled.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. New England Medical Center reserves the right to modify position duties at any time, to reflect process improvements and business necessity.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.