This position supervises the day-to-day financial transactions within the Department of Public Works. The Management Analyst also assists in preparation and oversight of the Department’s budget and provides other administrative functions, including oversight of personnel, payroll and accounting functions.
Hiring Range: $65,403 – $79,053
Duties and Responsibilities
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function to satisfaction:
- Coordinates and oversees, in conjunction with the Finance Director, the development, submission and administration of the Public Works Department’s operating budgets to ensure accuracy, appropriateness, compliance and effectiveness of budget documents.
- Compiles quotes, projects future costs, analyzes each division’s budget and their impact on the Department’s budget.
- Tracks line-item spending throughout the year, providing guidance on line item budgeting.
- Oversees administrative aspects of purchasing and insurance programs, including purchase order approval in compliance with budget and procurement law and vehicle and property damage reports
- Oversees personnel, payroll and accounting functions in the Department; coordinates recruitment and hiring procedures including conducting interviews and hiring negotiations.
- Oversees accounts receivable and supervises associated personnel related to water and sewer billing, RTS billing, street permits, and over the counter transactions.
- Researches and prepares grants for funding departmental activities and projects.
- Provides assistance with work order system, including coordinating work order assignments; coordinating communication between contractors, DPW staff and Town staff; tracks status updates and communicates those; coordinates project scheduling;
- Assists in procurement for the Department; compiles bidding calendars; coordinates the preparation of specifications and bids; oversees bidding procedures for procurement compliance; publicly advertises bids; receives and opens bids; drafts and awards contracts and change orders; reviews specifications with architects and contractors; monitors contract performance; verifies contract pricing on invoices ensures administrative contract compliance.
- Participates on several committees, as assigned.
- Conducts policy research on issues affecting the Department.
- Prepares and edits reports as requested.
- Provides effective and efficient customer service and promotes and maintains responsive community relations.
- Follows safe work practices.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance or related field
- At least 4 years of experience in budgeting and/or project management.
- Ability to obtain MCPPO Certification while in the position.
As a Town of Needham employee, you’re offered a rewarding career-opportunity serving the Needham community, a thriving and growing town in the Metro Boston area. The Town of Needham is a professionally-run, high-performing organization that is committed to creating an inclusive culture where employees can perform at the highest levels. In addition to a competitive salary, the total offer will feature a comprehensive benefits package, which may include:
- Flexible work options available
- “Summer Hours” with early release Fridays
- Employer-sponsored Health insurance from 4 carriers, each offering 2 plans designs
- Health Savings Account with employer contributions
- Flexible Spending Account for Medical and Dependent Care
- Dental, Vision, Accident coverage, low-cost basic and optional life insurance
- Retirement: Defined-Benefit Pension plan, optional Town-matching 457b Deferred Comp (pre-tax or roth)
- Leave: competitive vacation leave, 12.5 paid holidays, 2 personal days and 15 sick days per year. No cap on Sick accrual
- Tuition assistance and paid professional development opportunities
- Highly supportive of participation in professional associations
- Qualified Employer for the Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Program which includes mental health, financial education, legal referrals, and much more