Thorlabs, a leading global manufacturer of photonics-enabled technologies, is currently seeking applications from experimental scientists, with an advanced degree in physics, biophysics, or a related field, to join our Technical Marketing team. Our innovative imaging systems portfolio, which includes not only multiphoton, confocal, and widefield microscopes but also objectives, software suites, and a huge variety of optical and mechanical components, requires a champion who will focus on product- and application-oriented marketing collateral.
Established in 2009, our Imaging Division distinguishes itself by partnering with university thought leaders to deploy and support exciting, cutting-edge technologies in our customers’ laboratories. Innovations like our rotating Bergamo® microscope for in vivo observations, Bessel beam imaging techniques, multiphoton mesoscope, and Veneto™ inverted microscopy platform have been developed in true collaboration with our end users, providing a healthy stream of new technologies to consider and market to our userbase.
The successful candidate will have extensive hands-on laboratory experience, ideally with exposure to building imaging systems from the ground up, and familiarity with related specialties, such as neuroscience, functional imaging, and cell biology. Strong writing and presentation skills in English, excellent organizational skills, the ability to work under time constraints, and a desire to learn about new technologies are also required.
Scientific Writers partner with graphic artists and videographers to create marketing collateral. Original product content is written based on information from application specialists, product managers, R&D engineers, and key customers as well as prior knowledge gained from using similar products in the field. Hence, this position requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
The Scientific Writer, Life Science Specialist position is at our headquarters in Newton, NJ, although travel to Sterling, VA to work with our Imaging Systems team or to other Thorlabs locations may be required from time to time.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Works closely with key technical contacts to learn about advanced and cutting-edge imaging techniques and produces collateral to describe those techniques and guide customers in performing them
- Leverages extensive product knowledge to identify, implement, and track product presentation enhancements aimed at assisting customers with a buying decision
- Creates marketing collateral to support new product introduction of imaging systems
- Builds application examples that help customers understand how products are utilized within a lab environment
- Guides graphics staff, clearly and effectively communicating desired outcomes to obtain the necessary images, videos, and animations for a successful presentation
- Proposes and implements plans for website reorganization and improvements
- Develops effective content for use at tradeshows, within advertisements, or for other purposes
- Participates in defining new products and/or product enhancements
- Identifies and guides development of new web tools and features that improve customers’ experiences when interacting with our website
- Develops, implements, and tracks search engine optimization projects for various product lines
- Additional responsibilities may include participating in and leading marketing projects and attending tradeshows
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
- Extensive Hands-On Laboratory Experience, Preferably with Imaging System Technologies
- Advanced Degree in Biophysics, Physics, or a Related Field, or Equivalent Work Experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Native Language Writing Skills in English
- Strong Organizational and Planning Skills
- Strong Interpersonal Skills for Working in a Multi-Disciplinary Team Environment
- Willing to Constantly Learn About New Technologies, Applications, and Developed Products
- Ability to Multitask, Be Detail Oriented, and to Solve Problems, All While Under Tight Time Constraints
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.