The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Trajectory Optimization Analyst will provide trajectory analysis and optimization support for spacecraft, launch, reentry vehicles, and missiles, for Earth-centric, cislunar, and occasionally interplanetary missions. This role will support conceptual design/technology assessments, pre-launch analysis for on-contract programs, launch and Mission Ops, and end-of-life phases. Selected candidates will be expected to be technical leaders and provide critical insights to a wide range of customers. Selected candidate will exhibit the ability to be a subject matter expert to be a technical leader among engineering peers and key stakeholders and demonstrate the ability to critically think through situations and communicate effectively complex information to key stakeholders, both internal and external, with the expectation to capture new department customers and tasks. This position can be located in El Segundo, CA OR Colorado Springs, CO.
Performance standards to be successful in this position include:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to adapt to changing organizational need
- Interpersonal skills to coordinate efforts and work with other internal and external organizations
- Demonstrate behavior that is consistent with the company’s values of Dedication to Mission Success, Technical Excellence, Commitment to Our People, Objectivity and Integrity, and Innovation
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Develop and apply advanced techniques for solving flight mechanics and astrodynamics problems
- Perform trajectory simulation and performance optimization of spacecraft, launch vehicles, upper stages, missiles, and reentry vehicles
- Analyze and optimize chemical propulsion, low thrust propulsion, and hybrid propulsion orbit transfers
- Implement optimization theory including calculus of variations approaches and/or non-linear programming
- Develop methodology and tools for spacecraft low thrust propulsion simulation and optimization
- Support launch vehicle ops and spacecraft orbit transfer campaigns
- Implement scripting techniques to perform parametric studies
- Utilize numerical methods (numerical integration, root-solving problems, coordinate transformations).
What You Need to be Successful
- Advanced Degree (Master’s and/or Ph.D.) in engineering, physics or mathematics (pursuing or conferred within the last 12 months) with 0 to >1 year of industry experience
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Graduate Level Course work, research and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: flight mechanics, trajectory modeling and simulation, orbit mechanics, optimal control
- Proficiency in one or more of the following programming languages is desired: C, C++, Fortran, Python, Matlab
- Experience in or willingness to acquire the ability to function in a Unix environment
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Ph.D. in engineering, physics or mathematics
- Graduate level course work in orbital mechanics, numerical methods, and optimization
- TS//SSBI (SCI) clearance is preferred (applicant will be submitted for this clearance upon hiring if they do not currently possess it)
Transcripts are Required for this Position
Grade-Based Pay Range
(Min – Mid – Max)
$67,500 – $111,700 – $168,000
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.