Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January or February 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
Tesla is seeking highly motivated engineering students who want to apply CS and EE concepts towards energy and sustainability. Your projects may include new control strategies, the extension of our products to new applications and markets, or making improvements to our super charging network.
What to Expect
Qualified applicants may be reviewed by one or more of the following teams:
- Energy and Super Charging Reliability: The Energy and Supercharging reliability engineering team is in charge of helping Tesla optimize product design and validate the most compelling and reliable for our customers. For this purpose, the team is responsible for both designing/building automated test equipment to validate current and future products and collecting data to enable the reliability physics analyses.
- Energy Optimization: The Energy Optimization team develops and maintains the high-level control systems for Megapacks, Powerwalls, Virtual Power Plants, and microgrids. Our systems continuously forecast solar production, energy demand and prices, and then determine optimal control strategies and dispatch energy in real-time. We have repeatedly demonstrated success in residential, commercial, and utility-scale settings.
- Service Super Charging: Service Engineering works to ensure that those working on Tesla products can do so effectively and as efficiently as possible. This is accomplished by being positioned in between the customer and engineering departments within Tesla. Among other responsibilities, Service Engineering empowers aftersales teams to diagnose and repair Tesla products, conduct root cause analysis when the failure reason is unknown or new, as well as test firmware and hardware. They also feed test data back to quality, hardware and firmware design teams to improve the product.
- Currently working towards an advanced degree (Masters or PhD preferred) in a relevant program such as Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Personal or academic projects that demonstrate your ability to address complex problems with simple solutions
- Strong proficiency in Python
- Comfort in a Linux environment
- A strong predilection for good software and the processes that make it
- Hands-on experience debugging software and hardware issues within a network of systems
- Nice to have: Scala, experience modeling physical systems and/or markets, experience with IoT platforms
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).