Tesla is seeking an amazing Mechanical Engineer to lead full life cycle development of automated test equipment, for core test technologies. The position is based in Reno/Tahoe, Nevada. The candidate will revolutionize every facet of manufacturing test automation, and provide technical leadership to a superstar team.
- Set the standard of technical and leadership excellence for the team. You will be capable of executing any level of test design to lead from the front.
- Develop innovative technologies for ultra-reliable testers, unit defect detection capabilities, and previously unimagined production rate scaling capabilities.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Able to define most efficient plan for testing, focusing on test time reduction and appropriate complexity to promptly release testers.
- Modeling and testing for stress, thermal, fluid, and mechanical aspects of machines/components, that perform effectively while exposed to daily abuse of a manufacturing environment.
- Embed with product design teams to drive design for test/manufacturing.
- Ensure test machines provide effective testing coverage, protect the unit under test, meet up time needs, and reduce cycle time requirements for scalable high volume manufacturing.
- Drive enhanced mechanical design standards, best practices, and tools to improve designs.
- Characterization and validation of new equipment for introduction to the production floor.
- Drive continuously increasing test automation, including robotics and actuator based test systems.
- Create outstanding documentation packages, train others in the maintenance and long term usage of the test systems.
- Team leadership, mentoring growing engineering team.
- 0-3 years of experience designing best in class mechanical products and test automation systems.
- Ability to lead projects and architect the overall system design in cooperation with electrical and software test automation disciplines.
- Experience with initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balancing product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Be able to perform required analysis to ensure a successful design (stress, strain, thermal, tolerance, cost and mass optimization, etc).
- Solid knowledge of heat transfer and thermal management.
- Expertise in material science of components used in mechanical design (metals, insulators, plastics, connectors, gaskets, etc).
- Desire to drive ultra-reliable, cost effective designs that beat schedules.
- Expertise in SolidWorks, CATIA, FEA simulation, GD&T, and design for reliability concepts.
- Experience in deploying test machines in a large scale manufacturing environment and ability to come up with rapid methods for scaling and duplication of test equipment.
- Remain engaged, proactive and positive in tough circumstances, owning assignments and taking full accountability for overall team success.