Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
- Lathrop, CA
- Sparks, NV
- Buffalo, NY
- Austin, TX
- Other Locations
About the Team
The Manufacturing Engineering team is responsible for Tesla’s manufacturing processes, designing equipment to be used in production lines, and helping to troubleshoot manufacturing issues to affect production and delivery targets.
- General Assembly & Body in White: Develop manufacturing equipment and processes. Manufacturing Engineers work with cross-functional teams throughout the entire product lifecycle. You will work closely with Design Engineering, Quality, Production and Line builder to take vehicle design changes and new vehicle designs from initial concept through prototype development and into full production.
- Equipment Engineering: Work with manufacturing, process, and equipment engineering teams to develop and set up design of experiments (DOE), as well as build and test Tesla equipment and products. Participate in the transition of a product from pilot line production into high volume manufacturing. Analyze and optimize production processes and equipment to ensure safety while maximizing yield, capacity and capability in cost effective means.
- Powertrain Battery Module: Engineers on the Battery Module Team are at the leading edge of next generation Tesla products. In this role, you will be responsible for analyzing and optimizing the performance of revolutionary vehicle and energy storage battery designs.
- Process Engineering: Improve process control through regular disciplined monitoring of production processes via statistical process control (SPC). Present data and results to gain support for factory operation, yield and quality improvement projects. Preemptively identify, address, and solve process concerns with production ramp, equipment reliability, efficiency, yield through modification of existing methods, and/or design of an improved process.
- Powertrain: Contribute to the continuous improvement of Manufacturing process, quality and equipment. He or she will aid in to designing, developing, and optimizing test equipment for Tesla’s Battery, Drive Unit, Charger, and Center Display lines across all of our vehicle models.
What to Expect
An intern within Manufacturing Engineering may be working on projects related to the following:
- Support control plans to assure critical features are controlled through the assembly/production process.
- Support Lean manufacturing and 5S initiatives.
- Apply technical knowledge to innovate, design and develop processes, tooling, assembly fixtures and procedures.
- Organize and analyze data sets that outline the systemic improvement opportunities.
- Manage projects involving multiple departments and/or outside contractors.
- Develop and validate processes used in manufacturing.
- Assist and contribute to software architecture design, development of software applications, and integration into enterprise systems.
- Develop and implement system support process and documentation.
- Support issue resolution for production and assembly including root cause investigation and corrective action tracking.
- Ability to read and interpret basic mechanical drawings and electrical schematics
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program.
- You must be self-managed and committed to working in a fast-paced environment.
- Hands-on experience is a must.
- Professional and positive communication skills.
- Previous internship and/or project experience is a plus.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).