Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January or February 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Sparks, Nevada
- Austin, Texas
About the Team
Tesla is seeking highly motivated post-secondary interns to contribute to the design and development of new factory layout and material flow for our advanced production facilities. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of the team building “the machine that makes the machine.” Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on a critical subsystem of incredibly exciting products.
What to Expect
Qualified applicants may be reviewed by one or more of the following teams:
- Factory Layout Design: You’ll contribute to developing a factory design which supports seamless integration between production, packaging, material flow, supply chain, construction, and facilities teams.
- Material Flow Automation: You’ll focus on the efficient and reliable flow of material to the Tesla manufacturing lines and the storage of material to improve overall operational efficiency and factory output by managing technical projects from “cradle to grave”.
- Production Optimization You’ll work with the teams designing production lines for the factory to ensure that their layouts align with the overall vision for the factory – identifying production constraints and developing and deploying a framework of continuous improvement utilizing lean principles.
- Undergraduate or graduate student in a relevant Engineering program (Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Software Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics, or equivalent).
- A passion to work on mechanical automation equipment, robots, design of electromechanical systems, PLCs, motion controls and navigation systems.
- Excellent grasp of engineering fundamentals.
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams while able to work independently; detail-oriented and execution focused.
- Genuine curiosity and willingness to understand how our products are designed, built and how they operate.
- Proven interest in Tesla’s mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy – through extracurricular activities, academic projects, passion projects, or equivalent experiences.
- Proficiency designing layouts with AutoCAD 2D (Solidworks, Catia is a plus).
- Experience working with production lines in a factory setting.
- Knowledge of and experience with material flow strategies and dynamic manufacturing systems, including making data-driven decisions and summarizing results for executives.
- Knowledge of moving mechanism and machine design, component part design, and machined part processes.
- Experience designing greenfield facility layouts and/or material flow strategy.
- Experience using Lean Six Sigma method.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).