Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January or February 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Fremont, CA
- Sparks, NV
- Buffalo, NY
- Austin, TX
- Other Locations
About the Team
Tesla is seeking highly-motivated post-secondary interns to contribute to the design and development of new automation equipment and assembly lines for our advanced production facilities. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of the team “building the machine that makes the machine”. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on a critical subsystem of incredibly
- Automation Development
- Vehicle Manufacturing
- Paint Manufacturing
- Powertrain Manufacturing
- Cell Equipment Manufacturing Design
What to Expect
The Controls Engineering Intern will work under the guidance of Controls Engineers to develop, design, and program control systems for new equipment being deployed to the production floor. The Intern will learn, apply and contribute to the further development of Tesla’s innovative controls program architecture to components such as logic controllers, machine interfaces, servo drives, and industrial robots used in our production processes.
Tasks can include:
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical schematics.
- Develop and debug ladder logic PLC code with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable.
- Interface with conveyors, robots, Manufacturing Execution System (MES), LabView
- Implement (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Commission vision cameras for part inspection and 2D/3D guidance of machinery (Cognex, Keyence)
- Manage and implement small machine projects from start to finish
- Currently pursuing a degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Computer Science, or related programs
- Coursework in analog and digital circuits, control systems, logic, and programming
- Exposure to programming microcontrollers
- Proficiency with CAD (AutoCAD, CATIA, SolidWorks)
- Able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Mastery of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio
The following skills and experiences are a plus:
- Strong propensity to build, assemble, fix and program things
- Use of common power and hand tools
- Programming experience in C++, Python, SQL or similar language
- Industrial electrical panel design
- PLC programming (Allen-Bradley, Siemens, Beckhoff or similar)
- HMI/SCADA programming (Allen-Bradley, Ignition or similar)
- Industrial robots (Fanuc, Kuka or similar)
- Servo motors and controllers (Kinetix or similar)
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).