Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the team
The Residential Energy Hardware Engineering team is a close-knit group of hands on mechanical and electrical engineers. We work in a space crowded with regulatory requirements and competitors and suppliers often invested in the status quo. Our team’s job is to ignore the status quo, challenge rules where appropriate, and implement fundamentals-only engineering to make the absolute best products possible to provide energy storage, EV charging, and solar integration to the home. Our mission is to get the residential electrical infrastructure ready for the tumultuous future ahead, deliver value in our products which make people happy, and fight climate change while we’re at it.
- Full product design responsibility, from concept through production launch and ramp
- 3D design of complex parts and assemblies
- Advancing product performance while driving down cost and complexity
- Developing new technologies, supported with early process development
- Relentless improvement of existing products
- Hands-on prototyping
- Specification definition (dimensional, functional, performance, manufacturing)
- Meticulous release of 2D part and assembly drawings
- Owning basic testing and analysis; supporting advanced testing and analysis
- Root causing test failures and production problems
- Collaboration with other teams inside Tesla (manufacturing, testing, NPI, supply chain, etc.)
- Close, active supplier relationships
- Travel to support production launch and ramp (supplier visits, on-site at Tesla factories, etc.)
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, MS a plus
- Strong Engineering fundamentals in heat transfer, fluids, mechanics, and electronics
- Desire to own a lot and work hard – we have small teams and fast timelines
- Demonstrated ability or ability to learn to create products: CAD design to hand on prototyping
- Direct machine shop skills a plus
- A detail-oriented personality with solid documentation and reporting skills
- Experience with student Formula Vehicle, Solar Car, Hyperloop etc. a plus
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).