Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
About the teams
Your application will be considered across all opportunities for the teams listed below:
Energy Residential Products – We are looking for an intern to work on hardware design of our energy products including Powerwall, Solar Inverter, Backup Switch, Wall Connector, and other AC Chargers. In this position, intern will support the Program Managers in the Energy Products Engineering team to coordinate complex, multi-disciplinary projects, developing requirements and timelines, and helping to usher these projects through to completion. Candidate should feel comfortable with mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, data and basic data management tools, and be able to quickly share updates on progress.
Intern will work on new products or sustaining improvements for existing Energy products. The Energy Products organization architects, designs, builds, tests, and services Tesla’s Energy products.
Energy Industrial Products – To support Tesla’s overall mission of accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy, the Tesla Energy team is bringing our world leading battery and electric vehicle charging technology to the grid. Tesla is leveraging its breakthrough hardware design, firmware, test, and manufacturing capability to develop and deploy world leading grid connected storage and EV charging infrastructure.
Tesla Energy is looking for amazing Interns who are passionate about harnessing design, test and manufacturing technology areas to drive the world’s transition to a sustainable future. Internship roles in our teams provides significant independence and ownership of product development projects, while still providing excellent mentorship and guidance. We emphasize collaboration in our work, and always encourage each other to have fun while we change the world together.
Every intern takes on a wide variety of work areas across technology focus. In addition to diverse smaller projects, there will be a key showcase project for each intern.
- Manages one or multiple projects to support the Energy Products Engineering Programs from start to finish, managing plan, tasks, risks and issues resolution, communications and implementation
- Assists with projects and programs task assigned by Program Managers, and Engineering Management team
- Owns a hardware build, component of a new hardware program, or sustaining improvements from definition, development and testing, through release to the factory.
- Coordinates resources, provides clear direction and timelines for deliverables, collaborates, and delegates tasks across a cross-functional team: Product Management, Executives, Service Engineering, System Test, Mechanical/Electrical design teams, Factory/Production teams, Supplier Quality, and Supply Chain.
- Maintains a high degree of confidentiality and exercises sound business judgment
- Requires leading a team, balancing multiple concurrent projects/tasks, running meetings, creating plans, delivering results, and being a flexible and capable problem solver
- Pursuing a BS/MS degree in mechanical, electrical or other engineering discipline
- Engineering background; mechanical, electrical or system testing experience preferred
- Comfortable and excited about learning new technical areas
- Experience in leading teams, and proven ability to drive initiatives to conclusion
- Able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and navigate through an ambiguous environment; enjoys challenges
- Ability to deliver results through influence without authority
- Highly organized, with good time management skills
- Desired to be proficient in Microsoft Office, JIRA, Confluence, and Git
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).