Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the teams
Your application will be considered across all opportunities for the teams listed below:
Asset Management – Tesla’s Energy Operations Service team operates & maintains deployed assets including North American residential & commercial solar, global behind-the-meter & front-of-meter storage, and global electric vehicle charging infrastructure. The role will be expected to closely partner with the operational teams to develop reporting tools & improve processes, Engineering functions for technical root cause analysis, and lead cross-functional decision-making & implementation of large-scale change for how Tesla Energy operates & maintains its 10-30 year warrantied assets.
The Energy Service Transformation & Analytics team is embedded in daily operations, supporting both near-term execution and long-term planning. Team members are expected to partner closely with the business to analyze technical data, provide recommendations, and lead cross-functional decision-making and implementation of the recommendations.
Fleet Heath – Tesla is committed to having industry-leading uptime and service for our deployed fleet of residential, commercial, and industrial utility scale solar, storage and charging systems. The Tesla Energy Fleet Health Team is responsible for proactively monitoring the solar, storage and charging fleets, providing technical support, and ensuring that contractual obligations can be monitored and delivered to our customers successfully.
As an intern on the Fleet Health team, you will have end-to-end ownership of data analytics projects related to tracking successful delivery of our contractual obligations, automating the required analysis to ensure compliance across the fleet and improving the existing code base to ensure scalability and reliability of the data for decision making and process improvements. You will execute on all aspects of the project, i.e., those involving review of contracts and ticket system data, as well as those involving scripting and database management.
- Develop scheduling tools for Field Service Coordinators to visualize scheduled technician routes, sites needing scheduling, and relevant fixed locations (e.g., warehouses)
- Quantify prioritization of field activities to inform decision-making on which sites to visit first (e.g., safety-related, financial impact, service level obligations, etc.)
- Automate features to click-and-schedule from visualization user interface (e.g., Tableau) to multiple Tesla-proprietary scheduling applications used by field technicians
- Measure compliance and impact of changes in prioritization in time to schedule and time to visit sites based on scheduling tools
- Develop recommendation features to identify improvement opportunities to scheduled routes (e.g., adding nearby site, swapping technicians for visits if routes intersect)
- Build framework for end-to-end recommendation algorithm to advise Scheduling Coordinators on optimal schedule routes, based on technician availability, site needs/ priorities, and geography
- Currently pursuing an undergrad or master’s degree in engineering, Computer Science, Business, and/or other quantitative and technical fields
- Evidence of exceptional ability, especially within an ambiguous environment
- 2-5 years of experience in analytics, program manager, or other structured training program
- Demonstrated success driving tangible impact / influencing within a broader organization
- Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts at a detailed level, and synthesize implications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, particularly with senior business leaders
- Proficient with SQL, Python, Excel VBA and Tableau or similar dashboarding tools
- Experience with JIRA and git
- Highly collaborative, team oriented, and comfortable leading cross-functional projects, especially those consisting of both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- A passion for sustainable energy
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).