Dates are flexible!
A) PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:
The TechnoServe entrepreneurship program is a year-long business accelerator program in Bangalore for 20 growth-constrained, women-led small and micro enterprises – at least 40% of whom (10 or more) have an annual turnover of at least INR 500,000, and have been in business for at least twelve months.
The program execution will encompass the following:
∙ Select and coach 20 high-potential women entrepreneurs to scale their businesses
∙ Train these entrepreneurs to acquire the relevant business and management skills for success
∙ Provide 1:1 hands-on business advisory and coaching support to participating entrepreneurs
∙ Improve access to markets, capital and information for entrepreneurs facing constraints in these areas
B) ROLE DESCRIPTION:
∙ Title: Fellow (two Fellows)
∙ Duration: Three to Six months
∙ Starting: August 2021 or October 2021
∙ Location: Mumbai, India
Each Fellow is expected to work with the core program management and implementation teams of TechnoServe India. The overall expectation is to help the Program Manager implement the entrepreneurship program. The role will include some or all of the following functions:
∙ Advisory work that includes due diligence summaries for the businesses assigned, and identify/recommend tentative areas of intervention for desired results (e.g., for revenue or profitability increase, etc)
∙ Help prepare Business Plan on behalf of the businesses assigned, as per project objectives and requirements
∙ Help PM in planning and implementing agreed interventions with business owners – manage full spectrum of communication, work and relationship with the assigned businesses (6-7 in number)
∙ Design & implement experiments, being in tune with constraints of the businesses, analyze data and present results
∙ Prepare, or help in preparation of, reports related to the project
∙ Help to gather and interpret financial information from the businesses
∙ Share progress and issues on a regular basis with PM.
C) TYPICAL REQUIREMENT:
This role calls for an intrinsically motivated and passionate individual, looking to work in program implementation. Preferred skills and mindset include, but are not limited to, the following:
∙ At least 4-5 years of work experience with progressively responsible roles ∙ Demonstrated excellence in academics and professional capacity
∙ Degree from a top tier University (preferred)
∙ Adaptable people management and team working skills
∙ Ability to work in a diverse team (preferably international) under resource constraints ∙ Excellent written and oral communication skills
∙ Willingness to work within the local constraints of the project team – including reporting and compliance requirements of the project as needed
TechnoServe is an international non-profit that promotes business solutions to poverty in the developing world by linking people in underserved communities to information, capital and markets. Launched in 1968 by Ed Bullard, we are based in Washington, D.C. and are currently operational in 29 countries across the world.
We work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries, and have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities with 50 years of proven results. In 2018, TechnoServe’s work impacted the lives of 457,000 direct beneficiaries globally by targeting improvements in farms, businesses and industries. (Learn more in our Impact Report.)
TechnoServe India partners with international development organizations, corporations and grant-making foundations to execute large-scale, multi-year programs with staff deployed at the frontlines. Present in India since 2007, we:
• STRENGTHEN AGRI VALUE CHAINS: We enable smallholder farmers to grow high-value products, engage with private-sector, and sell to profitable markets.
• FOSTER SKILLS DEVELOPMENT: We provide business training and skills development to people in poor communities in order to improve livelihood opportunities for them.
• PROMOTE SUSTAINABLE LOCAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: We increase incomes in target communities and in turn further catalyze economic and social development.
• SUPPORT GENDER-INCLUSIVE COMMUNITIES: We integrate custom support for women into our programs to expand their capacity and opportunity for sustainable livelihoods.
Some of our programs include:
1. The Sustainable Guar Initiative in partnership with Solvay, L’Oreal, HiChem and Henkel, which works to enhance the livelihood opportunities of guar farmers by creating a competitive guar market by linking farmers to institutional buyers.
2. WARDA (Women Advancement in Rural Development and Agriculture) program funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which develops market led approaches to empower smallholder women farmers through Farmer Producer Companies.
3. Project Saathi in partnership with Cargill, which works to catalyze local economic development in the Davangere district of Karnataka.
4. Nirmal Dhara Dairy Demonstration, in partnership with Abbott. The shared value program engaged 1500+ smallholder dairy farmers via interventions in the supply chain to enhance the quantity and quality of milk, and increased their revenues by 110%
5. Youth Employability Program works to make youth from urban slums job-ready and offers them access to lucrative employment opportunities, and has reached 10,000+ students in urban India till date of which 77% beneficiaries are women
More information on our active and past projects can be accessed here.
Read our success stories here.
About the TechnoServe Fellow’s Program:
This project is through the TechnoServe Fellows Program. Fellows take part in field-based projects ranging from 3 to 12 months in which they engage directly with entrepreneurs, industry experts, TechnoServe field staff, and other stakeholders.
Fellows have the opportunity to lead projects in areas such as business plan development, industry analysis and strategy, financial analysis, and capital raising. A typical project might be conducting an Industry Strategic Plan (ISP). ISPs are a standard part of our approach to assessing the potential competitiveness, opportunities, challenges and key success factors in a given sector at both the country and regional levels.
Read more about the program and sample projects here: https://www.technoserve.org/get-involved/fellows-program