WHO WE ARE:
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is the largest public retirement system in Texas, serving more than 1.5 million people. Innovation, technology, and collaboration make the difference as we strive to continue earning your trust every day. TRS improves the retirement security of Texas public education employees through our ‘best in class’ investment management and delivery of pension and health care benefits.
Our Mission: Improving the retirement security of TRS members by prudently investing and managing the Trust assets and delivering benefits that make a positive difference in their lives.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
The IMD Student Intern – Public Markets performs entry level investment research and analysis work. Work involves assisting investment staff with investment related research and analysis and performing special projects, with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. Works under close supervision of investment managers. This position reports to the Senior Managing Director of Public Markets.
Note: This position is a full-time, limited term assignment scheduled to start in June 2022 and end in August 2022. We require that all IMD interns live in Austin, Texas for the duration of their internship.
Salary will be dependent upon education level:
Undergraduate (Senior) – $25/hour
Graduate Student – $40/hour
Duties and Responsibilities
Research and Analysis
· Assists in performing fundamental and statistical investment analysis for potential investment opportunities, including investment computations (i.e., valuation multiples, correlations, volatility analysis, attribution analysis, etc.), using any reliable printed or electronic media, and contact with external managers.
· Assists investment managers in conducting strategic research, asset allocation analysis, and/or quantitative investment research.
· Assists in conducting investment research on various companies, industries, or countries.
· Assists investment managers in performing due diligence research and analysis for potential investment opportunities.
Projects and Communication
· Conducts projects with support from Public Markets team in the following areas: internal global equity portfolios, both quantitative and discretionary fundamental; external manager global equity and hedge fund portfolios; credit and special situation portfolios.
· Participates in group projects as assigned.
· Consults or coordinates with investment managers, analysts, investment accounting, legal counsel, custodian, and third-party advisors and consultants.
· Provides timely written or oral reports of analysis and recommendations to investments staff and management.
· Ensures that the agency Ethics Policy is adhered to in relationships with general partners, external managers, brokers, research suppliers, and other vendors.
· Performs related work as assigned.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
Minimum Required Qualifications
· Must be currently enrolled in and actively attending an undergraduate degree program with a major in business administration, finance, accounting, operations research, math, information technology, liberal arts or a related area, at an accredited college or university, and must complete their junior year (90 hours) by the start of the internship OR Must be currently enrolled in and actively attending a graduate program in finance, accounting, business administration or a related area.
· 3.25 GPA
· Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
· Experience or education in institutional investment research, accounting, financial analysis, statistical analysis or a related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Investment concepts, terminology, styles, models, strategies, and fundamental investment factors.
· Statistical concepts, methods, and models, and their application to investments.
· Using a computer in a Windows environment with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and other business software to prepare correspondence, spreadsheets, charts, and reports.
· Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex statistical analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports and written/oral recommendations.
· Planning, organizing, and prioritizing work assignments to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced and changing environment, and in completing detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
· Verbal and written communication of complex information that is accurate, timely, and based on sound judgment
· Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
· Work effectively in a professional team environment.