WHO WE ARE:
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is the largest public retirement system in Texas, serving more than 1.5 million people. Innovation, technology, and collaboration make the difference as we strive to continue earning your trust every day. TRS improves the retirement security of Texas public education employees through our ‘best in class’ investment management and delivery of pension and health care benefits.
Our Mission: Improving the retirement security of TRS members by prudently investing and managing the Trust assets and delivering benefits that make a positive difference in their lives.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
The IMD Student Intern – Investment Operations performs entry level investment accounting and operations analysis work. Work involves assisting investment operations staff with investment accounting or operations related research and analysis and performing special projects, with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. Works under close supervision of investment operations managers.
Note: This position is a full-time, limited term assignment scheduled to start in June 2022 and end in August 2022. We require that all IMD interns live in Austin, Texas for the duration of their internship.
Salary will be dependent upon education level:
Undergraduate (Senior) – $25/hour
Graduate Student – $40/hour
Duties and Responsibilities
Research and Analysis
- Assists in performing accounting duties to support operational accounting including reconciliations, budget, expense, and other data analysis, and reporting.
- Assists in performing fundamental and statistical investment operational analysis for potential opportunities, including public and private market data analysis (ex: valuation, fees, cash).
- Assists investment operations managers in conducting strategic research, data analysis, and/or improving operational efficiencies.
- Assists Budget and Accounting Operations in operational efficiency related projects.
- Assists in conducting research on various operational projects.
Projects and Communication
- Conducts reporting with support from Operations Team in the following areas: data & account reconciliation, portfolio valuation and other investment and accounting information using report writing, database, spreadsheet and other software, for use by agency management.
- Participates in group projects as assigned by Investment Operations Management.
- Participates on various investment operations related projects to improve system integration between Trading applications, Custodian Bank, and portfolio analytics software.
- Consults or coordinates with investment managers, analysts, investment accounting, legal counsel, custodian, and third-party advisors and consultants.
- Provides timely written or oral reports of analysis and recommendations to Investment and/or accounting staff and management.
- Ensures that the agency Ethics Policy is adhered to in relationships with general partners, external managers, brokers, research suppliers, and other vendors.
- Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
Minimum Required Qualifications
· Must be currently enrolled in and actively attending an undergraduate degree program with a major in business administration, finance, accounting, operations research, math, information technology, liberal arts or a related area, at an accredited college or university, and must complete their junior year (90 hours) by the start of the internship OR Must be currently enrolled in and actively attending a graduate program in finance, accounting, business administration or a related area.
- 3.25 GPA
· Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
- Experience or education in institutional investment research, accounting, financial analysis, statistical analysis, investment product development, financial business process analysis or a related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Investment process & accounting concepts, reports, terminology, models, strategies, fundamental investment factors.
- Using a computer in a Windows environment with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and other business software to prepare correspondence, spreadsheets, charts, and reports.
- Gathering and documenting requirements and business process flows.
- Performing complex financial & accounting analysis.
- Verifying and auditing financial data.
- Planning, organizing, and prioritizing work assignments to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced and changing environment, and in completing detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Verbal and written communication of complex information that is accurate, timely, and based on sound judgment
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
- Work effectively in a professional team environment.