Sustainable Cities Planning Associate works under the supervision of the Executive Director, Sustainable Designer and Resilience Manager to forward our mission of sustainable urban design and planning in the Capital District. The internship term will last three months full time, up to 480 hours in total, and also provides for students taking courses to work part time, a minimum of 18 hours per week for at least 80 hours total.
Responsibilities include demographic research and analysis, mapping with geographic information systems software tools, site planning, business feasibility studies, and some essential architectural drafting when the need arises.
Planners compile publicly available data and engage in community outreach to understand the existing urban fabric as a context for our placemaking efforts in Troy and surrounding areas. They evaluate future uses of space (public and private) to incentivize sustainable growth and advocate for smart urban policy.
· Coordinates the collection of data and incorporates such information into drawings, maps and schematics, while consulting with engineers, architects, surveyors and others involved;
· Researches sustainable transportation options and smart city integration with clean energy building technologies, adapting designs to include cutting edge decarbonization approaches;
· Manages complex drafting and designing assignments with moderate supervision and reviews drawings for accuracy and completeness;
· Maintains all revisions of project drawings;
· Collects reports, analyzes codes and makes calculations for the materials that are going to be used, with particular emphasis on low-carbon materials;
· Follows industry drafting standards;
· Coordinates with other professionals to understand urban design concepts and establish requirements, especially relating to community acceptance of sustainable transportation;
· Revises designs to eliminate problems when discrepancies are identified;
· Offers technical assistance and solutions to the design team and participates in project conference calls and meetings if required.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Collaborate with architects and engineers to produce maps, site plans, and other documents using computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) software.
· Visit construction project sites to measure and draft the dimensions of existing buildings with assistance; carry ladders and small equipment; climb stairs and gauge the basic stability of a structure.
· Review and advise architects and designers on Architecture 2030 Zero Code and NYS Energy Stretch Code, and viability for uptake in Capital Region municipalities.
· Work effectively and respectfully with clients, colleagues, engineers, code officials, and all other industry professionals.
· Other duties as assigned, especially when relating to energy efficiency and sustainability, supporting the Sustainable Designer and Resilience Manager.
· Proven work experience as a designer/drafter or similar role in the construction industry or substantial design education.
· Proficiency with computer-aided design (CAD) and/or GIS planning software and ability to learn new software skills.
· Proficiency with sketching and drafting by hand.
· Proficiency with 3D modeling software such as SketchUp, Rhino3D, Revit, etc.
· Proficiency with presentation software tools such as Adobe Creative Suite.
· Strong math skills, proficiency with spreadsheets and construction estimating.
· Strong ability to keep materials and information organized, pay close attention to detail, and commitment to technical accuracy.
· Strong written and spoken communication skills.
· Basic knowledge of architectural design and construction principles; ability to think critically and to assist engineers and architects by identifying problems with designs and plans.
· Basic knowledge of building codes and regulations, or willingness to learn on task.
· Associate Degree in Construction Technology or Architectural Technology.
· Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Building Science, Regional Planning, or related relevant field; Bachelor of Architecture professional degree; or substantial progress in either of these degree programs.
· Master of Science in Architectural Sciences, Regional Planning, Mechanical or Civil Engineering, or related field, or Master of Architecture I/II professional degree are advantageous but not required.
· Doctorate in Architectural Science and Technology, Mechanical or Civil Engineering, or substantial completion of post-graduate research in sustainable architectural and construction technologies.
· Certification from the American Design Drafting Association (ADDA), Building Performance Institute (BPI), either Passive House Institute (NAPHN or PHIUS), or other related building efficiency qualifications are helpful but not required.
· Ability to work under strict deadlines, and to produce the required output in accordance to set schedules.
· Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work closely with other professionals in the field to ensure the accuracy of information in construction documents.
All candidates will be considered, though we ask that you register for the NYSERDA Clean Energy Internship program here: https://nyserda.seamlessdocs.com/f/InternApplicationForm