This position is also known as the Lepera Design Fellowship, named after TAP’s founder Vincent Lepera, AIA, RPI School of Architecture ‘69. Fellowship is supported by TAP’s endowment and NYSERDA Clean Energy Internship program, for which we ask viable candidates to register.
Energy Efficient Buildings Designer/Drafter works under the supervision of Licensed Architects, Sustainable Designer and Resilience Manager, as well as consulting engineers, to convert architectural designs into energy efficient technical plans. The internship term will last three months full time, up to 480 hours in total, and also provides for students taking courses to work part time, a minimum of 18 hours per week for at least 80 hours total.
Responsibilities include building code and energy conservation code research, drawing plans, elevations, sections, details and other building elements to adequately describe the scope of a sustainable construction project.
Designers draw structural, architectural, and energy efficiency building features for construction projects, and other activities including but not limited to:
· Creates detailed drawings using CAD software that include dimensions, procedures and required materials;
· Uses views and angles to show the association between systems and components, often consulting co-workers regarding design and layouts;
· Creates schematic details and sketches that allow clients, designers, architects and consultants to see how different elements in their projects work together;
· Coordinates the collection of data and incorporates such information into drawings, maps and schematics, while consulting with engineers, architects, surveyors and others involved;
· Researches clean energy building technologies and adapts design team standards to include cutting edge decarbonization approaches;
· Manages complex drafting and designing assignments with moderate supervision and reviews drawings for accuracy and completeness;
· Maintains all revisions of project drawings;
· Creates drawings and models from verbal and written specifications that are obtained from the project engineer, developing 3D models by analyzing 2D drawings and prototypes;
· Examines and checks engineering drawings to comply with cited specifications;
· Collects reports, analyzes codes and makes calculations for the materials that are going to be used, with particular emphasis on low-carbon materials;
· Follows industry drafting standards;
· Coordinates with other professionals to understand design concepts and establish requirements, especially relating to the efficiency of building envelopes;
· Revises designs to eliminate problems when discrepancies are identified;
· Offers technical assistance and solutions to the design team and participates in project conference calls and meetings if required.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Collaborate with architects and engineers to produce construction documents using computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) software.
· Visit construction project sites to measure and draft the dimensions of existing buildings with assistance; carry ladders and small equipment; climb stairs and gauge the basic stability of a structure.
· Calculate dimensions, weight limitations, assembly requirements, and energy efficiency of a variety of building materials.
· Work from rough sketches and specifications created by architects to create detailed designs with computer-aided design (CAD) software.
· Prepare and review rough sketches for discussion with the engineering team.
· Specify dimensions, materials, and procedures for new, low-carbon products.
· Ensure final designs comply with regulations and quality standards, especially NYS Energy Conservation Code.
· Review and advise architects and designers on Architecture 2030 Zero Code and NYS Energy Stretch Code, and viability for uptake in Capital Region municipalities.
· Work effectively and respectfully with clients, colleagues, engineers, code officials, and all other industry professionals.
· Other duties as assigned, especially when relating to energy efficiency and sustainability, supporting the Sustainable Designer and Resilience Manager.
· Proven work experience as a designer/drafter or similar role in the construction industry or substantial design education.
· Proficiency with computer-aided design (CAD) and/or GIS planning software and ability to learn new software skills.
· Proficiency with sketching and drafting by hand.
· Proficiency with 3D modeling software such as SketchUp, Rhino3D, Revit, etc.
· Proficiency with presentation software tools such as Adobe Creative Suite.
· Strong math skills, proficiency with spreadsheets and construction estimating.
· Strong ability to keep materials and information organized, pay close attention to detail, and commitment to technical accuracy.
· Strong written and spoken communication skills.
· Basic knowledge of architectural design and construction principles; ability to think critically and to assist engineers and architects by identifying problems with designs and plans.
· Basic knowledge of building codes and regulations, or willingness to learn on task.
· Associate Degree in Construction Technology or Architectural Technology.
· Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Building Science, Regional Planning, or related relevant field; Bachelor of Architecture professional degree; or substantial progress in either of these degree programs.
· Master of Science in Architectural Sciences, Regional Planning, Mechanical or Civil Engineering, or related field, or Master of Architecture I/II professional degree are advantageous but not required.
· Doctorate in Architectural Science and Technology, Mechanical or Civil Engineering, or substantial completion of post-graduate research in sustainable architectural and construction technologies.
· Certification from the American Design Drafting Association (ADDA), Building Performance Institute (BPI), either Passive House Institute (NAPHN or PHIUS), or other related building efficiency qualifications are helpful but not required.
· Ability to work under strict deadlines, and to produce the required output in accordance to set schedules.
· Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work closely with other professionals in the field to ensure the accuracy of information in construction documents.
We will consider all candidates for this position, though we ask that you please register for the NYSERDA Clean Energy Internship program here: https://nyserda.seamlessdocs.com/f/InternApplicationForm