JUNIOR DESIGNER – Residential
SYSTEM 7 – Boston, MA
Our architect-led design team ties our lighting, shading, and technology experts together. They draft, draw, ideate, and work with clients at the earliest stages of their projects to help detail exactly what will be built.
Our team here hails from a variety of backgrounds: architecture, interior design, industrial design, lighting design, and mechanical design. They have one thing in common. They are problem solvers. And they are incredibly intelligent, curious, and passionate about figuring out how to make technology augment a beautiful space and never distract from it. They believe technology should be powerful yet usable. It should be simple, reliable, and aesthetically pleasing.
Sound interesting? We are always looking for talented, detail-oriented individuals to join our diverse design team.
Technology Systems Design Consultancy, System 7 is hiring a Junior Designer to assist with the production of project deliverables, including, but not limited to, drawing packages, system narratives, and RFP documents.
System 7 is a technology consulting firm with offices in Boston and the San Francisco Bay Area. We collaborate with architects, interior designers, landscape designers, general contractors, MEP engineers, and other experts in the residential and commercial construction industry. System 7 helps project teams and their clients better understand various building technologies and systems, including communications, entertainment, security, and environmental controls (including lighting and motorized shade systems). We help teams to better understand the pros, cons, costs, and risks associated with these technologies, and to make well-educated decisions.
Primary Roles / Responsibilities
Use computer-aided drafting (CAD) software programs and equipment to create and modify architectural documents
- Bring together architectural, landscape, mechanical, and electrical designs and incorporate them into technology system designs that are understandable and feasible
- Acquire and assemble the information needed to finish architectural drawings, visiting job sites when necessary to gather measurements
- Produce construction-ready documents for contractors and permitting agencies
- Contribute to object libraries, production standards, and design guides to improve the company’s workflows
- Assist in completing architectural-type drawing packages for Low Voltage Residential Systems (e.g. Audiovisual, Data/Voice, Security, etc.)
- Assist in creating written Design Narratives and low-level Specifications to accompany said drawing packages
- Create, revise, and improve drawings and graphics to be used in company deliverables
- Interact with architects, general contractors, and other members of project teams to coordinate deliverable resources and requirements
- Create, improve, and manage Drawing / Document Templates, Tools, and Macros
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering or construction-related field
- 2+ years of experience with computer-assisted drawing (CAD) software
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, & Acrobat
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Experience with Google’s suite of office products (e.g. Drive, Docs, and Sheets)
- Outstanding communication skills
- Team-oriented to collaborate effectively with peers
- Methodical and detail-oriented
- Ability to follow design guidelines
- Seeks incremental improvement to output(s) through repetition and pattern recognition
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Experience using BIM software to create 3D models and photorealistic renderings
- Proficient in Autodesk Revit
- Desire to create macros for production task automation
- A keen eye for practical graphic design with an emphasis on readability and streamlined layouts
- Active interest in “smart home” technologies