Summary: The User Experience Researcher will utilize usability tools and research methods to provide actionable insights that drive future design improvements. They will work to improve the usability, usefulness, and desirability of K12 applications and curriculum in collaboration with UX Designers, Product Managers, Instructional Designers and Program Managers. Responsibilities include developing usability test plans, interview scripts, conducting research via in-person or remote moderation as well as automated unmoderated research, test analysis and reporting of the results. There is an expectation to use industry-accepted methodologies to meet research objectives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Plan, schedule, and conduct up-front generative product opportunity research, on-going usability tests, surveys, and so on and define long-term user research needs
- Conduct remote and in-person usability evaluation of products & prototypes utilizing a rapid iterative testing approach.
- Conduct focus groups
- Create and manage surveys
- Ensure compliance with COPPA standards
- Ensure compliance with UX ethical standards to protect the participants from harm
- Ensure the validity of research methods for accomplishing the research objectives
- Be able to speak to the validity of research methods
- Proactively involve designers, engineers & product managers in the research process
- Work with UX designers to define research goals, participant recruiting criteria, methodologies, reporting requirements and more.
- Collaborate on mockups, wire frames, and clickable prototypes for rapid, iterative testing and design improvement.
- Quickly synthesize and produce reports with meaningful recommendations and actionable results
- Present to a variety of audiences from design and engineering teams to executive teams
- Share best practices & new techniques with the UX group
- Support lean and agile research methods
- Contributes to continuous improvement of the User Experience community at K12 and proactively supports knowledge-sharing within and outside the UX team;
- M.A / M.S in Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Sociology or a related field AND
- One (1) years of UX professional research experience in software/web applications OR
- Equivalent combination of education and experience Certificates and Licenses: None required.
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Understands the principles of user-centered design
- Demonstrated experience in user research or user experience design
- Understands innovative graphical user interface design, information design, and interaction design
- Understands and has experience with web technologies including both front-end and back-end applications
- Excellent written, oral and diagrammatic communication skills
- Ability to pass required background check
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.); Web proficiency.
- Experience in K-12 education or with educational product development
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Experience with remote usability research methods
- Adept with relevant design and information flow software
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is an office- or home-based position. This position is open to residents of, and may be performed remotely from Washington, D.C., and from any state except Colorado.
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is “at-will” as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the “at-will” nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.