Position Overview: In this position you will be working closely with a team to develop a proof of concept game as part of an Epic Games grant.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for the development, design, implementation and maintenance of game software projects and their individual features.
· Responsible for conceptualizing game mechanics and developing Blueprint scripts for Smithsonian Institution Game. Keep in mind that we are using Epic Game’s Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) with the Meta Human Creator plug-in to develop the game, and knowledge of how Blueprint scripts interacts with UE4 is required.
· Work closely with game script/storyboard writers, project managers, game designers, game artists, and other developers to bring our game concepts to life.
· Translate and implement our game design into code and game assets with a level of polish that is competitive within our target markets.
· Document every facet of the game software project as a reference for further maintenance and upgrades.
· Working closely with product ownership to help prioritize features based on critical path and technical lift.
· Maintain up-to-date knowledge of Unreal Engine features, capabilities, best practices, and standards.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Knowledgeable in C++ and Unreal Engine Blueprint with the ability to write code and create game assets which implement complex feature requirements.
- Experience in integrating Oculus Quest 3-D elements into game mechanics.
- Basic knowledge about IT from a software and hardware perspective, and computer programming basics.
- Ability to operate in uncertainty and self-activate to gain clarity from teammates and stakeholders as necessary to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Ability to work constructively within a team of varying opinions while leaning in with your expertise.
- Has the ability to troubleshoot and repair bugs or errors in game software.
- Two or more years of game software development work experience in Unreal Engine, including contribution to shipped titles. Experience with additional game engines is a big plus.
Education: Gaming or computer science degree or experience
· Virtual and greater Washington region
Rate: Based on experience $90 to 125 per hour, part-time
Strategic Result: In assuming this position, you will be a critical contributor to meeting Strategic Results mission: To deliver innovative, cost-effective solutions and services that enable our customers to rapidly adapt to dynamic environments, the guiding principles of our culture. We empower our staff to work together with colleagues at all levels and be part of the decision-making process; we create transparency in our operations with our clients and employees; and we offer our people opportunities to grow and challenge themselves in meaningful ways. We’re committed to excellence. As a SR employee, we will challenge you, we will empower you, and we will mentor you. If you are passionate about this opportunity, submit your application by clicking the apply for this job online button.
Only those applicants who meet the above criteria will be contacted for interview. SR is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.