Stoel Rives LLP has an immediate opening for a Patent Agent in either of our Portland or Salt Lake City offices.
This position provides legal support to the patent prosecution attorneys in the Technology & Intellectual Property practice group. This position reports to the TIP Practice Group Leader. This person works with TIP lawyers and other professionals as part of the client service teams.
- Assist patent attorneys with preparing patent applications, including:
- reviewing invention disclosure materials to develop claiming strategies for patent applications;
- drafting claims from invention disclosure;
- preparing drawings for patent applications;
- drafting specification of application in accordance with claims and drawings;
- timely delivering refined, completed patent application to assigning attorney according to instructed deadline and accounting for attorney and/or client review; and
- revising draft applications according to client and/or attorney comments.
- Assist patent attorneys with prosecuting patent applications, including:
- devising strategies for responding to office actions;
- drafting office action responses;
- timely delivering refined, completed office action response to assigning attorney according to deadline and accounting for attorney and/or client review;
- filing patent applications and office action responses with the USPTO; and
- conducting USPTO examiner interviews.
- Preparing written communications (letters/emails) with attorneys, patent examiners, foreign associates, and firm clients regarding foregoing functions
- Patent analysis to identify and bring perspective on patent related issues in projects involving client counseling and advising, including due diligence and opinion projects.
Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as strong analytical and organizational skills. Must have the ability to work without direct supervision, think creatively and possess excellent client service orientation with the ability to handle multiple demands/priorities on multiple projects and timely deliver complete work product according to those deadlines. Must also possess the ability to work in a fast-paced changing environment with good problem-solving skills and have the ability to be flexible and adapt. Must be responsive and maintain a professional manner and demeanor. Must have the ability to resolve problems with a variety of people (including attorneys, staff, and possibly clients) and possess the ability to make sound decisions and show initiative.
Must be registered to practice (i.e., have a registration number) before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Implicitly, must have requisite technical background (e.g., education) to have passed the USPTO patent bar exam to be a registered agent with the USPTO. Specific technical background will depend on the clients and types of work available, though generally will be in one of the life sciences, electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering, mechanical engineering, and physics.
Physical & Mental Capabilities
Must be able to manage schedule and workload to timely meet deadlines. Must be open to receiving and adopting feedback from attorneys and/or clients. Ability to effectively operate a computer; learn and use firm style and software applications. Must be able to analyze and solve problems to determine alternate solutions and implement varied plans of action. Must be able to maintain a stable performance under pressure and exhibit at all times good judgment.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering required. USPTO registration or eligibility to sit for the Patent Bar is required. Patent writing experience is desirable.
NORMAL WORK HOURS
This position is exempt. Normal work hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 5 p.m.
Stoel Rives is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About Stoel Rives LLP: Stoel Rives is a leading U.S. corporate and litigation law firm. One of the largest national firms focused on energy, natural resources, environmental and climate change, Stoel Rives also serves the agribusiness, food and beverage, health care, life sciences and technology industries. With more than 350 attorneys operating out of 10 offices in seven states and the District of Columbia, Stoel Rives is a leader in regulatory and compliance matters, business, labor and employment law, intellectual property, land use, real estate development and construction law. For more information, follow us @stoelrives.