Who we are:
Steelcase was founded as an office furniture maker, and we’ve evolved into the global leader in workplace solutions. We apply our insights to the intersection of space, technology, and furniture, helping individuals and teams in leading companies around the world to have a better day at work.
Why people choose to work with us:
We offer opportunity to develop the skills to become a successful engineer. We pair you initially with a mentor who is an experienced engineer. You’ll earn as much individual responsibility as you can handle. You control your own destiny, while having a safety net.
We believe you’ll love the variety of work – cost reductions, layout improvements, new product introductions, integration of technology into manufacturing processes, and multi-functional teamwork working toward a common goal.
What you will be doing:
- You’ll be based in our LEED certified, clean plant. This is not a typical factory.
- You’ll develop a firm understanding of the plant processes
- Working on multiple initiatives to reduce cost of products
- Resolving quality issues with existing products
- Be on a team to implement new products
Who you are:
- Are you the kind of person to get their hands dirty and jump into a challenge? Manufacturing engineers handle oily parts and may help with running equipment or troubleshooting equipment
- Do you work well with employees from all ages and levels and enjoy being active on the job? You’ll spend more time on your feet navigating the plant environment, where you’ll work with hourly employees, managers, and other engineers.
- Do you have a strong will to learn?
- Do you have experience working with equipment such as hand tools, mills, lathe, welding, paint, construction, etc.? (If not, that’s okay, you’ll get some hands-on experience during the internship.)
- Preferred graduation dates: Dec 2021 and May 2023
- Authorized to work in the US without future need of sponsorship
- GPA of 2.8 or better
- Pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Operations Engineering, Industrial Engineering.
- This internship requires the student to be at a Steelcase facility each day
- You must have daily access to a vehicle and a valid U.S. driver’s license as work locations within Grand Rapids may vary.
Salary Range: $20- $25/per hour
Expected Internship Duration: 11- 13 weeks.
Your Future Team:
Your daily team will be made up of about 20 individuals. There are a good number of senior employees who are eager to mentor and we desire to grow young engineers. We’re a close team with a common purpose to perform for company and plant.
We strive to establish a team with proven work/life balance. We value high performance and high work ethic while avoiding burnout.
If you are social and looking for other ways to get connected, the young engineers within the plant enjoy time together outside of work.
We are proud of our diverse and inclusive workforce, and we’re always looking to get better. We value applicants who enjoy interacting with people different than themselves. Women, people of any race or national origin, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, veterans, working mothers and fathers, and everyone else are all invited to apply.
We seek to find the best person to fill this role and will not discriminate based on race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by law.