Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $144 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
The Public Markets Operations team is responsible for providing operational support for SWIB’s Public Market investments. With a diverse mix of equities, fixed income and derivatives, members of the team support a wide spectrum of products. The Investment Operations Analyst is responsible for providing trade support for internal investments, implementing new strategies/instruments and oversighting third party service providers.
• Assist in the oversight, operational and fund accounting responsibilities for Derivatives, Securities Lending/Borrowing, Public and Private Market investments and cash management dealings.
• Support investment operations manage risk and prioritize technological enhancement.
• Evaluate workflow, procedures and internal controls on a continuous basis.
• Job shadow different areas/functions of the Investment Operations & Fund Administration Division.
• As assigned, assist supervisor or other operations areas with data entry and analysis and other special needs/projects.
The Ideal candidate:
• Undergraduate student pursuing a degree in business, accounting, economics, finance, or related.
• Excellent computer and application skills including MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong attention to detail, with the ability to critique and interpret data.
• Ability to work with a sense of urgency, strong commitment and accountability.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• An ability to be adaptive and thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment.
• Superb work ethic, attention to detail, team orientation, and commitment to excellence.
• Ability and desire to work as part of a team as well as dive into projects on own.
• Ability to present ideas clearly and articulately.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests over 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.