Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $144 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
The Performance Management team plays an essential role in supporting SWIB’s fund and portfolio management process through the creation, modeling, maintenance, analysis, and delivery of benchmarks, performance, risk, and investment strategy metrics necessary for achieving absolute and relative risk/return goals for a sophisticated, multidimensional, leveraged portfolio. Members must balance their roles in consulting and collaborating with the investment team in developing and designing complex investment strategies while independently performing their own quantitative research, analyses, and verifications. Individuals play a critical line of defense by performing an independent control function for senior management.
- Assist in Performance Division performance calculation, control automation, and process improvements:
- BAU Oversight of Daily Performance
- Microsoft Teams/ File management project
- Perform a gap analysis of existing Performance Division policies (protocols) & standard operating procedures, make recommendations on documentation improvements and assist the team in composing new process documentation to remediate the gaps
- Assist team in executing strategic projects:
- New investment instrument readiness assessment/testing
- Support GPMS migration to SimCorp Dimension via testing and set-up tasks
- Reporting and analysis simplification
The ideal candidate:
- Graduate student pursuing a Finance, Statistics, Math, Physics, Engineering or related degree with an interest in quantitative/systematic investment.
- Excellent computer and application skills including MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
- Interest in investment management and quantitative finance. Additional background with programming in R, Python and/or MatLab helpful. PowerBI or Tableau experience also helpful.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work within stated deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- An ability to be adaptive and thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Superb work ethic, team orientation, and commitment to excellence.
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team.
- Ability to present ideas clearly and articulately.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests over 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.