Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $144 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
The Data Management Division is a growing, client service-oriented team. We are business-centric working closely with the investment management and operational teams to anticipate and meet their complex information and reporting needs. In partnership with Technology, we are transforming SWIB into a premier data driven organization.
• Help develop and manage data quality metrics and dashboards.
• Proactively manage data by reviewing processes and identifying improvements.
• Track data related problems, analyze root causes, research solutions and suggest fixes.
• Support the development of an enterprise-wide metadata management repository.
• Establish and update SWIB’s common business glossary and enhance the definitions where needed.
• Communicate data related updates to business partners and stakeholders.
• Work with front and middle office partners to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Assist with documenting procedures and policies as part of the Data Governance model.
• Partner with IT, 3rd party contractors and vendors in data related project initiatives.
The Ideal candidate:
• Undergraduate student studying Computer Science, Information Technology, Library Sciences, Business, Finance.
• Technical aptitude and ability to learn industry specific applications (Bloomberg, Charles River, Factset).
• Familiarity with Data Governance concepts such as Metadata, Data Quality etc.
• Basic knowledge of relational databases such as Oracle, SQL Server, Snowflake and SQL language
• Comfort with ambiguity.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Effective communication skills.
• Knowledge of Excel.
• Basic understanding of investment management.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests over 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.