Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $144 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
The Corporate Governance Division monitors quantitative and qualitative governance factors of SWIB’s equity investments. The division 1) develops guidelines in consultation with SWIB equity staff to direct proxy voting efforts; 2) votes SWIB proxies in accordance with established guidelines; 3) coordinates and participates in engagement efforts with publicly traded corporations; and 4) researches and analyzes trends in regulations, corporate structures and various ESG topics. Research and data cover a broad range of subjects including but not limited to; executive compensation structure and incentive alignment, corporate environmental and social initiatives, and boardroom diversity and independence.
The Corporate Governance Team is excited to host an associate candidate for the summer of 2022 with the potential of continuing the internship during the school year. The selected candidate will be involved in a variety of tasks to help support day-to-day responsibilities, projects, and research. This position requires analyzing findings and quantifying large data sets.
• Research legislation and other developments impacting governance practices at publicly traded corporations in domestic and international markets.
• Collect and organize director, proxy voting, and other governance data points found in proxy filings. Data includes but is not limited to SWIB and shareholder voting trends, executive compensation components, and board member characteristics.
• Summarize academic studies and white paper research when needed.
• Assist with data organization of historical data sets supporting proxy voting analysis.
• Summarizing individual company governance profiles and policies using internal and third-party data.
• Research and identify material environmental, social and governance factors.
• Develop summery governance statistics using tables and graphs.
• Organize and merge data sets to aid in the internal distribution of information.
• Help monitor and author correspondence with outside stakeholders.
• Support other team projects as assigned.
The Ideal candidate:
• Ability to work in Madison, WI for an approximate 10-week period beginning late May/early June 2022.
• Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in economics, law, public policy, political science, business, or related field.
• Experience conducting research using various resources.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent oral/written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Outlook.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, formulas, etc.).
• Ability to prepare clear and concise documentation.
• Ability to multitask and work independently.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests over 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.