Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $144 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
An effective communications program plays an important role in SWIB’s success. The Communications Team is responsible for all internal and external communications efforts. The team works to provide meaningful, relevant, and accurate information in clear and understandable terms targeted to specific audiences. The team works to improve integrity, trust, respect, and understanding about SWIB with its audiences; protect SWIB’s professional reputation and creditability; provide managers with the support and tools needed to ensure organizational success, and collaborate across the organization to support SWIB’s achievement and goals.
The communications intern works as part of SWIB’s creative and energetic communications team. This internship provides an opportunity to work on a variety of communication projects, build a professional portfolio, and create strategic communication materials. This is a great opportunity to gain professional experience and to collaborate with others in planning, developing, and implementing programs. You’ll work in a proactive, hands-on, and challenging learning environment where you can hone the skills needed to succeed as a professional. The schedule for this position will be 40 hours a week during the summer and 10-15 hours a week during the school year.
• Assist with the development of creative concepts and general communications activities.
• Manage projects, including the development of communication plans, presenting concepts, and implementing initiatives.
• Work as part of the team to develop ideas and produce materials for communication plans and projects.
• Produce internal newsletter articles and create intranet sites.
• Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and tools for communications.
• Assist with communications and public affairs research and monitoring stories, trends, and topics relating to SWIB’s business.
• Deliver other projects as assigned.
The Ideal candidate:
• Ability to work in Madison, WI for an approximate 10-week period beginning late May/early June 2022.
• Is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or marketing (junior or senior undergraduate preferred).
• Has advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products (2+ years academic or work experience with PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook).
• Can work independently.
• Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Has strong research skills using the internet and published documents.
• Has good analytical skills.
• Is a self-starter.
• Has Adobe Suite knowledge.
• Has SharePoint experience.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests over 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.