About the Team
We, Sparrow, are a high-growth financial technology (“fintech”) startup based in New York City. We are modernizing student loan infrastructure to accelerate the transition to sustainable finance for young adults.
We have gone through tremendous growth in 2021, and we’re planning on growing even faster in 2022! This high-speed role requires a great deal of complex problem-solving across time zones and entrepreneurial spirit. We expect you to identify and close the biggest technical opportunities with minimum hand-holding.
While we may be unencumbered by red tape, the building process is critical for ongoing, sustainable rapid growth.
You Will Report
Directly to the Chief Technology Officer
The primary mission for this role is to help develop the technological architecture and infrastructure for the future of Sparrow’s consumer and enterprise facing applications. Success within the first year on the job involves: 1) building the payments infrastructure and backend logic for our second flagship product, Self-Driving Savings 2) developing a sandbox environment to provide loan pre-qualification-as-a-service for enterprise partners 3) identifying opportunities to optimize user conversion and minimize loan disbursement drop-off.
On an ongoing basis, success in this role is defined by three encompassing metrics: (1) ability to develop a scalable infrastructure with a focus on adherence industry standard best practices for software development (2) ability to learn and develop new skills while collaborating with both the product team and other engineers (3) ability to take on leadership, guiding junior engineers.
You will be Asked To…
- Participate in developing the architecture and data schema for our new products
- Collaborate with senior developers in designing our new architecture as well as aid in refactoring older architecture with a focus on stability and scalability
- Build secure, standards-driven RESTful APIs that can reliably meet high demands for our services
- Write clean, good quality, highly testable and maintainable code
- Follow industry best practices as well as take ownership of deployment, testing and integration pipelines
- Collaborate with product, design and the broader engineering team on features and functionality
- Conduct code reviews and ensure solutions are conforming to design and business requirements
- Mentor younger software engineers to help cultivate their skills
We’re excited about you because…
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent work experience
- You have 2-3+ years of experience working as a Software Engineer, preferably in a fast-paced startup environment
- You have 2+ years in deploying server-side development (AWS or GCP)
- You have expertise with AWS, notably Lambdas, EC2, DynamoDB, RDS, S3, and SQS
- You have experience with writing REST APIs and with developing API architecture
- You have good experience working with relational and/or NoSQL databases. This could be DynamoDB, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, MySQL, MongoDB, or another type of document-database. This preferably includes experience with schema design, indexing, querying, and performance tuning
- You have strong experience with one server-side programming language — such as Node.js or TypeScript; Java, Kotlin or other JVM languages; C# or other .NET languages; Python, Go, and perhaps a breadth in others
- You have a background working on the backend with a focus on web services, data pipelines, security, or infrastructure
- You are passionate about raising the bar for testing, code quality, and maintainability – for the entire engineering organization
- You take strong ownership over your work product, set clear expectations, and err on the side of over-communication
Extra things we would love you to have…
- Experience with leading, instructing, and teaching junior engineers
- Experience performing code reviews of your peers work
- Experience with building web scraping bots
- An appreciation for CI/CD (e.g. CircleCI, TeamCity, AzureDevops)
- Experience setting up deployment pipelines
- Experience with the concepts of “infrastructure as code” – such as CloudFormation; Terraform; Azure Resource Manager
- Comfort developing authentication and authorization flows for API services and making recommendations to clients
- Understanding of and experience with developing and building microservices
At Sparrow, we believe in the American Dream. We believe that anyone, regardless of where they were born or what class they were born into, can attain their own version of success in a society in which upward mobility is possible for everyone.
Achieving that Dream is impossible without education. Education inspires, encourages, and empowers. But today, the price of that education is a non-starter for the majority of students.
We believe that there ought to be another way, a world in which education is accessible and affordable for all.
At the core of this vision is a financial engine which helps borrowers find affordable financing. An engine that simplifies the lending process, provides maximum liquidity, and personalizes services to each borrower. That engine is Sparrow.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.