*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 17432
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Operations
Salary: $25.88 – $30.12 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 – E2
Closing Date: 10/26/2021
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/.
The Pierre Area Office is looking for an enthusiastic Project Engineer willing and able to work on all types of projects in the Area. This office manages a wide variety of projects from chip and crack seals to PCC and asphalt paving projects to bridges and box culvert construction.
The Project Engineer performs contract administration on a variety of small to moderately complex projects such as reconstruction projects, structures, Portland cement concrete paving projects and asphalt paving projects. Duties include, but are not limited to preparing project documents; compiling, analyzing, and preparing project information and data; developing preliminary design plans; reviewing plans and plats; developing final, complete project plans; providing technical guidance to peers, managers, subordinates, and/or external entities; attending and providing training; reviewing the work of others; inspecting materials; inspecting contractor’s work; providing information to the public, other government agencies, internally, the media and the private sector; and planning and assigning work and providing staff guidance and support.
This position is a 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday although hours may vary and include weekends during the summer to accommodate construction activities.
Work activity will involve both an office environment in the winter and predominantly outside during the construction season. Outdoor work involves working outdoors in all weather and around traffic.
Licenses and Certifications:
Currently have a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering OR graduate in December of 2021 with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering for entry-level position.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering and work experience related to road and bridge construction.
- civil engineering highway and bridge construction theories, principles, and design practices;
- basic practices and terminology of computer operations and computer aided design and drafting practices;
- construction materials (preferred but not required);
- construction contract administration (preferred but not required);
- Department of Transportation policies and procedures (preferred but not required).
- communicate effectively;
- operate survey equipment and perform the necessary calculations;
- effectively use Microsoft Office products.
- display high standards of ethical conduct;
- demonstrate self-confidence and take action when needed;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- listen attentively to others and clearly convey information and ideas;
- treat customers courteously and is responsive to their needs;
- exercise sound judgment when making decisions and take prompt, decisive action;
- actively seek, collect and evaluate information to learn more about issues or events;
- display a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals;
- set priorities, schedule activities, acquire resources, and monitor progress to ensure the successful completion of project and assignments;
- work cooperatively with others and promote a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”