PLEASE ATTACH THE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
Job ID: 17444
Agency: Department of Human Services – Secretariat
Salary: $60,000 – $71,000 annually, depending on experience
Pay Grade: GK
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Human Services. For more information on the Department of Human Services, please visit http://dhs.sd.gov.
This Communications Administrator position develops, frames, and oversees the implementation of information and public policy sharing from the Department of Human Services to all citizens and stakeholders. The Communications Administrator supervises the public information officer. The position will be responsible for implementing a variety of strategic communication initiatives. The position will update and manage a proactive branding and communications strategy for the Department. The goal of this position is to make accurate information easily available to the public regarding all services available through the Department’s programs and to assist in the Department’s mission of providing excellent service to all those with disabilities and their families. This position will also specifically assist in that mission by supervising management of the Department’s website and social media accounts, writing for the Cabinet Secretary and other departmental staff, coordinating and designing presentations and public information documents, facilitating open records requests, overseeing the handling of all media requests, supporting the Department’s compliance with HIPAA, monitoring legislative needs and requests, and assisting with special inter- and intra-departmental projects. This position will also serve as the point of contact for technology projects throughout the Department.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- manage and oversee DHS’s public policy and information communication activities;
- supervise the public information officer;
- oversee the Department’s branding goals, efforts, and strategies;
- ensure positive media relationships are maintained through timely responses to media questions and overseeing information dissemination to the public through proactive management of news media, social media, and other communication platforms;
- identify target audiences and determine the best platforms and messages to engage customers and stakeholders;
- utilize digital communication methods to provide effective communication to varying audiences, especially those with disabilities;
- manage external communications efforts including: press releases, talking points, press conferences, briefing packages, designing presentations and documents for departmental staff, etc;
- measure and report outcomes and propose appropriate changes to communications efforts to Department leadership based on public feedback;
- identify and address issues that may delay agency communication initiatives;
- participate in departmental strategic communications planning with Department leaders;
- supply speaking points or presentations as appropriate for the Cabinet Secretary and other Department leadership;
- provide technical assistance and oversight on complex or high-profile work on Department initiatives;
- respond professionally to all inquiries for information or records from the public or media.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, journalism, communications, graphic arts, and/or comparable professional experience. Qualified candidates must have strong communication skills, be self-motivated and punctual, display high quality organization skills and attention to detail. The ideal candidate will be passionate about serving the public. Qualified candidates should have proven experience in applying problem solving and critical thinking skills in a variety of situations.
- Public and Media Relations;
- Social Media Platforms;
- Editing and Copy Writing;
- Professional Writing;
- Strategic Communications;
- Marketing Strategy Development;
- Customer Service and Stakeholder Engagement Tactics;
- Issue Management.
- strong communication skills;
- supervisory skills;
- creating social media posts based on best practices;
- design and maintain internet and intranet sites;
- experience developing website content;
- work cooperatively together with others in a team environment;
- establish effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- be detail oriented;
- strong proofreading skills in multiple formats.
- communicate information clearly and concisely in aesthetically pleasing and understandable formats;
- develop and execute department-wide communications strategy through publications, media, social media, and presentations;
- analyze and interpret information;
- organize and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously;
- design educational materials;
- organize data and facts for accurate information sharing;
- meet short deadlines;
- remain calm under pressure;
- respond to urgent situations in a timely and professional manner;
- research and implement new communications strategies and techniques;
- willing to travel within South Dakota and occasionally attend out of state trainings.
Additional Requirements: To be considered, attach your resume and professional writing sample: 1. digital/social media campaign sample(s) and 2. a brief professional writing sample.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”