This internship offers you a rare opportunity to directly impact the energy industry alongside a team of passionate and creative engineers in a fun, dynamic innovation center. Shell TechWorks (STW) has developed a company-leading technology delivery methodology that blends systems and design thinking with state-of-the-art technologies and tools, to produce highly effective solutions for Shell. In addition to developing creative systems and products, you will also be part of a truly collaborative, inclusive, multi-functional team with a mission to help Shell produce more and cleaner energy.
This position is assigned to Shell TechWorks. For more information about Shell TechWorks, please visit their website: http://www.shell.com/global/future-energy/innovation/innovate-with-shell/shell-techworks.html.
INTERNSHIP ASSIGNMENT DESCRIPTION
Heavy industries, e.g., steel production, cement manufacturing, etc., are a major source of CO2 emissions. Steel manufacturing alone accounts for ~8% of global CO2 emissions. To put this in context; if the steel industry were a country its emissions would only be surpassed by China and the US. These industries present an immense challenge to decarbonization because they are often dependent upon fossil fuels, in many instances coal and coke, to power their operations. You will be working on an exciting project that focuses on helping Shell’s customers realize their decarbonization ambitions.
You will be part of the Systems Analysis team and will work on the development of models and their application via simulations for technical and managerial decision making. You will be focused on the analysis of a broad range of energy productivity and decarbonization technologies for implementation at Shell and its customers.
In this role, you will work with a small, focused team to conceptualize and construct models and apply simulations with a solid understanding of assumptions and constraints to solve real-world problems in a cost-effective and time-efficient manner. You will have opportunities to brainstorm as part of the team as well as work as an individual contributor. You will work on projects that focus on integrated solutions for complex systems to help meet the growing demand for cleaner energy and consequentially help Shell achieve its ambition to become a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050 or sooner.
You will split your time between the following tasks:
· Communicate with stakeholders, engineers, and other analysts to understand problems and find possible solutions
· Understand complex systems and operations and conceive ways to build model representations
· Utilize models as basis of simulations to glean insights and support roadmap development by identifying viable pathways to achieve decarbonization ambitions
· Perform analyses to quantify the impact of a broad range of concepts on key performance indicators such as cost and carbon intensity.
You will be responsible for ensuring that a healthy, safe, secure and environmentally conscious work environment is maintained at all times and by all staff, in compliance with corporate policies and federal and state regulations.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Candidates pursuing a degree in engineering
· Ability to think critically and systematically
· A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required
· Experience with and competency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
· Experience modeling and simulating systems
· A basic knowledge of programming (Python, MATLAB, etc.) is advantageous but not essential
· Ability to interface with internal engineering teams, external partners, and stakeholders
· Ability to thrive in the dynamics of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, largely unstructured environment as well as navigating a large, complex, corporate, process driven organization
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
· Quick learner, self-starter
· No prior co-ops or internships required, but preference will be given to those with relevant work/internship experience
· Python, MATLAB, etc.
We invest in maintaining an inclusive, fun, and close-knit culture. We provide generous training and development opportunities for employees. Every day we work to provide an environment where all employees feel valued and included, able to nurture their talent as individuals, working within a collaborative team.
A diverse and inclusive workplace, embedded in our principles of honesty, integrity and respect, brings together remarkable people and enables them to be themselves. At Shell TechWorks, you will be able to apply and develop your skills and knowledge as part of a collaborative team that is helping to innovate and play a part in building a better energy future.
Given COVID, this role is likely to be remote and is linked to Shell’s Boston office based in a vibrant office environment located in Boston’s Seaport District. This position is assigned to Shell TechWorks through Cenergy International Systems (CIS). Cenergy is a dynamic company that supplies expert workforce solutions to the oil and gas industry, with offices around the world. This position is assigned to Shell TechWorks. CIS offers a generous compensation, benefits and vacation package.
Please apply directly to the position at https://shelltechworks.webhr.co/jobs/home/ by submitting a cover letter and resume for consideration.