Job Title: Quantitative Analyst Intern
Job Category: Quantitative Analysis/Data Science
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Location: Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Experience Required: Not required. SESCO is willing to offer training.
Summary of SESCO Enterprises, LLC:
SESCO Enterprises, LLC is a FERC-registered Power Marketer with offices in Greensburg and Monroeville, Pennsylvania. SESCO engages in proprietary trading of short-term, liquid, wholesale, electricity products in the United States of America. In addition, SESCO trades electricity future products in CFTC-regulated futures markets. SESCO’s model of creating teams who trade as a portfolio has been one of its largest advantages since its inception in 2003. A trading team environment such as this is what promotes the passing on of trading knowledge from one generation of traders to the next. The trading team environment also helps to limit risk and maximize opportunity. The trading teams place a primary emphasis on analyzing the many fundamental drivers associated with trading these wholesale electricity products. However, SESCO also embraces the use of security constrained dispatch power flow models, quantitative analysis, and predictive modeling techniques to facilitate the analysis of those fundamental drivers. SESCO is now looking to add depth to its existing trading teams and appreciates your consideration of joining SESCO’s Team.
SESCO is hiring Interns to train as a Fundamental Energy Trader in the wholesale electricity marketplace. The products traded by SESCO are virtual bids and offers, up-to-congestion, and financial transmission rights. You will be responsible for working closely with a team of Fundamental Traders, Meteorologists, Power Flow Engineers, and Quantitative Analysts to both quantitatively and fundamentally analyze the market drivers, the market opportunity, and the risk associated with the trading activity of your team. You will be expected to work closely with the Quantitative Analysts and the other members of your Team to develop predictive models and analytical tool sets that will assist in your Team’s analysis and trade execution.
SESCO fundamentally trades the wholesale electricity markets and is hiring Interns into its Quantitative Analysis team. The products traded by SESCO are virtual bids and offers, up-to-congestion, and financial transmission rights. You will be responsible for working closely with a team of Fundamental Traders, Meteorologists, Power Flow Engineers, and other Quantitative Analysts to both quantitatively and fundamentally analyze the market drivers, the market opportunity, and the risks associated with the trading activities of your team. You will directly contribute to the development and implementation of predictive models and analytical toolsets through the application of advanced statistical and analytical techniques in order to deliver data driven insights that support the fundamental analysis and the execution of SESCO’s trading activities.
· To perform in-depth analysis using various quantitative methodologies and tools
· To incorporate machine learning techniques into systematic strategy research and development
· To drive on-going, incremental improvement of our quantitative analysis and predictive models.
· To work with your fundamental trading team and others at SESCO to incorporate the strengths of fundamental analysis, quantitative analysis, and predictive modeling in the trading decision-making process.
· A desire to work with others in a team environment; not as an individual.
· An ability to communicate effectively, simplifying and explaining complex problems to different audiences.
· A willingness to work with incomplete data and to view that incomplete data as an opportunity, as well as a potential risk.
· An interest in assimilating large datasets and solving complex multi-variable problems.
· Detailed oriented – always striving for a complete understanding of the data and facts that prove a theory or outcome.
· The ability to prioritize multiple projects and deliver results in a time sensitive trading room environment.
· A humble nature that is willing to admit that you will never have all of the answers and a willingness to thoroughly discuss any differences of opinion with your team members.
· A willingness to pass on your knowledge to your teammates and co-workers, understanding this transfer of knowledge will lead to a better work environment and better trading decisions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
· Undergraduate or graduate degree in quantitative discipline (CS, Math, STAT, Engineering, etc.)
· Training/experience in handling massive-scale structured/unstructured data and creating predictive models
· Experience in using SQL and other programming languages; such as Python and/or R
· Working knowledge of Unix and Unix-like systems
· Experience with data visualization tools (eg. Tableau, visualization packages in Python/R, etc.)
· Experience with predictive modeling concepts and techniques, such as Logistic Regression, Random Forest, K-Means, Gradient Boosting, Dimensionality Reduction, etc.
· To drive on-going, incremental improvement of our fundamental processes, quantitative analysis, and predictive models.
· To prioritize multiple projects and deliver results in a time sensitive trading room environment.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
· Familiarity with the the Electricity Markets is preferred but not required
· Familiarity with Deep Learning and modern platforms (Pytorch, TensorFlow)
· Working in a team trading environment where you will have a great opportunity to hone the skills you have been learning.
· Working in a an environment where you will have a great opportunity to learn from veterans in this field.
· Working for a company that is hopeful of hiring you as a full-time employee when you graduate.
· An on-site gym
· Will require working weekends as needed.
· No travel required.